Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil Master Question

Fireant

Is there any kind of paint on it ?

When mounted in the pistol, the light feels like something around 12 lbs, the heavy feels like 17 lbs.

These are not the exact weights, this is what I approximately feel with cycling my guns, it might gives you some clues.

From STI website :

STI -- FAQ

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q. How can I tell if my RecoilMaster is Light or Heavy?

What does the paint on my RecoilMaster Indicate?

A. Orange paint indicates a Heavy RecoilMaster.

Green paint indicates a Light RecoilMaster.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The longer spring on the RM is shorter than a regular recoil spring.

Maybe your friend had changed the spring for something lighter.

The heavy is much lighter feeling than a 14lb spring. It has two springs in it and you can't change the inside one. It may feel wierd, but mine has work fine for about 45k and it feels about the same as when I got the gun. They say you never need to replace the spring on the RM as some people suposedly have 100k+ rounds on them.

I run a light RM in my 9x19 SVI, and my slide action is very slow, people comment on how slow my slide travel when running the light RM.

Has anybody experimented with changing the main spring on RM. I'll try this next weekend to see how the gun feels, becuase I need to find a way to speed up the slide, if you can see the full travel of your slide it's tooooo slow.. mine is.

• 5 months later...

Just on the recoil masters, (light)... I know STI discourages you from replacing the recoil spring that comes with it, but when I used the spring that came with it in my Open gun, the gun felt harsher, like there was more force coming into the frame.

I switched it out for a 9lb ISM spring, and IMO, the gun had less "thump"...

My query is, whatss' been your practice on open guns with the RM installed?

Regards,

• 2 weeks later...

I've now switched to a heavy RM and it works fine in mine SVI long duster 9x19. but being colorblind I don't pay much attention to color codes (I hate them) so I thought my smith had put a rusty spring in my gun... :blink::D

STI hard chromed pistols make the heavy RM feels heavier.

I tried one in an SV sight tracker and it felt like a 13 lbs .

My pistols are very tight fitted and Slide Glide does play a role too.

That's why I thought Heavy RM were somewhere around 17 lbs.