Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load data for XD9 Tactical

alpha-charlie

I've searched through most of the forums and have yet to find exactly what I'm looking for. I just bought a chrono and before I start "test" loading, I'm looking for some info on what loads work for other XD shooters to make my minimum power factor. I know it'll come down to what feels best to me when I shoot, but I'd like a solid base to start from. The forums have tons of different loads for my components but none exactly match up to shooting from an XD9 tactical. Here's what materials I'll be working with off a XL650:

115gr Montana Gold JHP and 124gr Montana Gold JHP

Hodgdon Titegroup

Mixed brass

Federal small pistol primers (Until Winchester's become available again)

XD9 Tactical with Bar-Sto match grade fitted barrel, 13lb wolff spring

Start with a 3.4 grain charge of CLAYS*** under your 124gr JHP at 1.125 OAL. Chorno map it up if need be, but you'll be close.

***that's regular straight Clays.

edited to add: This thread might be better served in the Reloading Forum. But I'm guessing :)

Edited by Jman

4.2gr Titegroup under 124 gr at ~1.105-1.100".

PF 132 out of my 4" XD.

Might be able to back that down to 4.1gr TG since you have the 5"/Tactical.

Titegroup is "sooty". It comes right off with Hoppes Elite or half strength Simple Green. Both of those clean the barrel grooves fine for me.

I've shot ~1K rounds in a weekend class, no "gumming up" or malfunctions.

YMMV.

I shoot N-320 with 130/135grain bullet's at about 135PF with a 16lb 1911 style spring. The gun shoots great with this combo. much rather this weight of bullet it's not as snappy as the 115/125 and not as sluggish as the 147's.

For my Tactical:

124 grain MG JHP

1.135 OAL

Wolf or Winchester SP primer

3.8 grains Clays

1053 fps

131 PF

I recommend starting a bit lower with the Clays since your pistol barrel may not be as "experienced" as is mine. I usually go at least 2K rounds between cleanings with this load.

Edited by XD Niner

For my XDM 9mm I have been happy with the following:

124gr Montana Gold FMJ

4.7gr WSF

1.154"

CCI small pistol primers

Win or FC brass

Out of my XDM I average a 132 PF.

I have been very happy with how clean the WSF is in my gun.

For me:

130 grain moly coated lead/3.9 grains of Solo 1000/ oal 1.1/ results in muzzle velocity just under 1000 fps. The Solo 1000 does take up more volume in the case than the Winchester powder I also use. Haven't tried any yet, but I suspect Winchester 231 would be good as well. The Winchester I have is a commercial powder, but it is similar to 231. My testing has yielded that the Winchester powder loaded rounds hold tighter patterns and the pistol has a "snappier" action.

• 1 month later...

Vihta says w/ 147g JHP, you're in for 3.1-3.9gn. At 3.9 you're at 984, so drop down to about 3.3, and you can step up to your 884fps.

Personally, I load my XD9 Tac with Zero 125JHP, VV N320 4.2gn, CCI SPP, OAL 1.145. Shoots well in all my 9MMs.

Mac

Was able to find some N-320. Anyone have any load data for shooting a 147gr FMJ out of a XD9 Tactical? Looking for a pf of about 130.

Just took my test loads out last weekend for my new XD9mm Tactical 5";

3.1 gr N320

147 gr Precision FP

WSP

1.125 OAL

Power factor was 131-133.5

I had loaded test rounds at 3.1, 3.3, 3.5 and 3.8 gr of N320. The higher loads did chrono at higher power factors as would be expected. The 3.1 gr load was very soft and did not seem too sluggish for me.

Titegroup is very dirty when shooting minor 9mm, you can expect to see malfunctions start at around 250 rounds fired with the XD.

Rich

are you serious? i had a load with 4.4g and 124g rn loaded to 1.125 oal and i could shoot that damn xdm 9mm gun till the wheels fell off

hey i was kind of wondering what kind of PFs i would be seeing with shooting 4.5g titegroup with 124rn loaded to 1.14 oal id like to be shooting around 136pf but idk

Edited by Field

hey i was kind of wondering what kind of PFs i would be seeing with shooting 4.5g titegroup with 124rn loaded to 1.14 oal id like to be shooting around 136pf but idk

I recently chrono'd with my XD9 tactical at 135pf shooting 4.2gr of Titegroup, 124gr JHP out of a bar-sto barrel at 1.125 OAL. The barrel is quite fast.

4.1 TG, 124 gr Precision Delta @ 1.110", standard 9mm crimp = 137-138

• 4 weeks later...