Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington 1100 select slug load

I own a Benelli and understand how to perform a select slug load with it. Got a friend who wants to start shooting 3 Gun with us and he has a Remington 1100. He asked about select slug loading.

Same as a Benelli? If not how.

Bob W

Try several brands and see what it likes, start with some low recoil.

My 1100 with 26" barrel and modified choke will shoot Federal 1oz low recoil into A zone at 100yds.

Edited by Bearcave

In response to the first post, which was unresponsive, have him use the Remington Slugger reduced recoil. They seem to work in all 1100s while other brands do not, unless you drill out the gas ports. I also have found that the modified choke gives the best slug accuracy in the 4 1100s I have shot. A set of fiber optic Turkey sights has also helped me with the 1100.

To select load, I load a slug in the tube, shoot my last bird shot at a shot target and then shoot the slug. If there is no shot target available, I do the same thing and just shoot the bird shot in the berm (provided the match/range allows it) and then shoot the slug. Racking the bird shot out is slower than shooting it out. I have become more comfortable with the candy cane load and have yet to put a slug on a birdshot target by accident, but I have put shot on slug targets, which is a mistake, but not a DQ mistake.

1100s are almost required to have a loading spoon. I used a custom one for a while, then went with the long tactical button and have since gone to a Dave's Metal Works Easy-Loader. It HAS to be fit by filing, which is easy, just make sure to help him follow the directions if he is not good at home gunsmithiness.

• 2 months later...

Try several brands and see what it likes, start with some low recoil.

My 1100 with 26" barrel and modified choke will shoot Federal 1oz low recoil into A zone at 100yds.

Yeah, you just have to find out what it likes, although my 1100 with an 18" fixed modified choke likes the regular Federal 1oz slugs with similar results, but not always all A's at 100 with the short barrell.

I own a Benelli and understand how to perform a select slug load with it. Got a friend who wants to start shooting 3 Gun with us and he has a Remington 1100. He asked about select slug loading.

Bob W

Leave one last clay to shoot and load a slug, shoot the clay and and now a slug is in the chamber ready to shoot.

If your talking about an immediate action load, I think the 1100 releases a shell when the bolt is racked so your out of luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Bob W

Leave one last clay to shoot and load a slug, shoot the clay and and now a slug is in the chamber ready to shoot.

If your talking about an immediate action load, I think the 1100 releases a shell when the bolt is racked so your out of luck.

This is the correct reply - in a match setting, be sure to leave one birdshot target to burn the chambered round on. If firing off the chambered round is not an option, then the action plan depends on whether the magazine tube is full or not. If the magazine tube has enough space for the required number of slugs, simply load the slugs in the magazine tube, then rack the chambered birdshot round out of the gun - the slug will feed automatically and you are ready to shoot. If the magazine tube is full, then you need to rack the bolt back and HOLD it back so that it locks open - the chambered birdshot round will eject and the next birdshot round will feed onto the carrier - then roll the gun to the right to allow the second birdshot round to fall out of the ejection port, then drop in a slug and hit the carrier release button/EZ Loader (if needed, as second slug can be inserted into the magazine tube at this time). HTH.

I did some experimenting back in my LEO days (we had a few 1100's), and came up with a "cop proof" slug select sequence, that's done the same way whether or not the mag tube is full or not (KISS).

Cycle Action

Insert slug into magazine tube

Cycle action

Sight picture

It's not the fastest drill in the world, but it works every time. If the mag tube wasn't full, you could skip the first cycling of the action and quicken it up. Lt. Murphy hates it when you try to remember how many shells are in your gun, especially in a stressed situation, so I decided sure and simple was better, just do it the same way every time. The Remmy doesn't really lend itself to "select slug", so stage planning and shot count is even more important.

DanO