Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

match Carry

Boriqua

I do. I have the standard steel 45. Carried my older witness, a mid 90's model, for years. I still haven't found a decent carry holster yet though. I carried my old one in a Ted Blocker X16, which I think was made for a Para, but this new one has a tac rail and doesn't fit in the old holster. Right now I'm carrying in a Tauga Yaqui style belt slide. It works, but I need something better.

I also have a Match 45 on order. Plan to carry it also.

bluestringer

I do. I have the standard steel 45. Carried my older witness, a mid 90's model, for years. I still haven't found a decent carry holster yet though. I carried my old one in a Ted Blocker X16, which I think was made for a Para, but this new one has a tac rail and doesn't fit in the old holster. Right now I'm carrying in a Tauga Yaqui style belt slide. It works, but I need something better.

bluestringer

Awesome .. I hope others chime in. I carried a full size 1911 for a couple for a couple of years and never bothered me but I think this guy is even heavier than that.

bluestringer

Awesome .. I hope others chime in. I carried a full size 1911 for a couple for a couple of years and never bothered me but I think this guy is even heavier than that.

The Witness is 33 oz. empty. With the right holster and belt you will be fine. That's my problem right now is finding the right holster. Carrying the old one in the Ted Blocker was easy.

bluestringer

I love my Witness Match, but I'm not so sure about having it as my daily carry gun because of how how easy it is to bump it from Safe to Fire due to the large thumb safety on it.

Had the extended safety on my old one, never had a problem.

bluestringer

I am planning on carrying my Tangfo steel once I find a GD holster :angry2: size is only a problem for about a week up here in MN. Most holsters out there are for the older generation of Tanfo's.

I tried to carry a Match a few times and believe it can be done. That said, CCW means IWB to me and a Match is 43oz, not 33, more if it's a newer one with the rail so it's a big heavy beast fully loaded, so better plan on a really good belt. Beyond that I'd say the best route would be to have a custom kydex holster formed with the safety in the "on safe" position so it cannot be holstered with the safety off and it cannot be bumped off by accident. Can be done IMO.

I tried to carry a Match a few times and believe it can be done. That said, CCW means IWB to me and a Match is 43oz, not 33, more if it's a newer one with the rail so it's a big heavy beast fully loaded, so better plan on a really good belt. Beyond that I'd say the best route would be to have a custom kydex holster formed with the safety in the "on safe" position so it cannot be holstered with the safety off and it cannot be bumped off by accident. Can be done IMO.

I don't think the rail and extra quarter inch adds 10 oz. I had both the old and new, and they both weighed 33. The new had the rail, but with the contoured slide it weighed the same.

Carrying IWB is even easier than OWB. Like you said, with the right belt and holster, it's not a problem.

bluestringer

Whatever you decide check out www.fist-inc.com for a holster/s. They make a great product and will modify it to an extent (for a price).

JMHOFWIW

Richard

PS: I have one and no I am not getting paid to advertise for them.

Im not to worried about the safety issue. Like I said I carried a 1911 for some time locked and cocked. I did have one scary incident though. I had a 1911 with an ambi safety. I ride a motorcycle. So it was cold and I had on a heavy leather jacket cinched tight around the waist .. yup .. the jacket flipped off the safety on the ambi side. I never had that happen though with a gun with the safety only on the left side though but like what was said the back of the holster usually rides up higher than the front so the left side safety is covered. Never did own another gun with an ambi and took that one off of the gun I had !!

No I was more worried about the match being a beast. Its a wonderful bad ass gun but still .. a beast. I bought it for range and desert but thought .. hmmmm .. carry.

Seems much heavier than a full size 1911.

Edited by Boriqua

Im not to worried about the safety issue. Like I said I carried a 1911 for some time locked and cocked. I did have one scary incident though. I had a 1911 with an ambi safety. I ride a motorcycle. So it was cold and I had on a heavy leather jacket cinched tight around the waist .. yup .. the jacket flipped off the safety on the ambi side. I never had that happen though with a gun with the ambi only on the left side though but like what was said the back of the holster usually rides up higher than the front so the left side safety is covered. Never did own another gun with an ambi and took that one off of the gun I had !!

No I was more worried about the match being a beast. Its a wonderful bad ass gun but still .. a beast. I bought it for range and desert but thought .. hmmmm .. carry.

Seems much heavier than a full size 1911.

I ride also. I've carried my Witness with me at times, but prefer to carry a small 38 revolver when on the bike. I don't think the safety will be a problem either. Like I said, I had the extended safety on my old Witness and never had a problem with it. A good leather holster will be best, not Kydex, if you carry OWB. For IWB the Crossbreed Supertuck is the best, if only they made one for the Witness.

bluestringer

I don't think the rail and extra quarter inch adds 10 oz. I had both the old and new, and they both weighed 33. The new had the rail, but with the contoured slide it weighed the same.

Carrying IWB is even easier than OWB. Like you said, with the right belt and holster, it's not a problem.

bluestringer

Better check your scale, the Match w/ Rail I had in 9mm w/ an empty mag inserted came in overweight for IDPA ESP (43oz is the limit... the one's w/o the rail just squeak by).

bluestringer

Better check your scale, the Match w/ Rail I had in 9mm w/ an empty mag inserted came in overweight for IDPA ESP (43oz is the limit... the one's w/o the rail just squeak by).

Don't see how that is possible. The standard steel that I have weighs 33 oz. with the rail. The only difference in it and the Match is a quarter inch more length. I could see it being around 37-38 maybe but not 43. The Limited, Pro, and Gold Team are listed around 40-44.

Nothing wrong with my scale. The specs also say 33.

bluestringer

• 2 weeks later...

I am planning on carrying my Tangfo steel once I find a GD holster :angry2: size is only a problem for about a week up here in MN. Most holsters out there are for the older generation of Tanfo's.

Uncle Mikes "sidekick" (cordura) or a Bladetech SRB (Kydex) will work.

- Nealio