Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 S&W sizing trouble.

reising

I know a lot of you are probably rolling your eyes but I am pulling my hair out here!

I am loading 40 S&W on my Dillon Super 1050 with Lee carbide dies. Most name brands of brass size fine. But I bought a large batch of brass marked "P-H" which I have been told is Starline brass which has been custom headstamped for Precision Delta.

The last approximately 1/8" on the head of the cases shows a distinct flare. The micrometer confirms it. The heads on these are usually .006" to .008" larger than the body. They chamber fine and shoot great. But the flare is visible to the naked eye and I don't like it. I have a Dillon case gage on the way and I am anxious to see if they will pass that test. But they do all drop into the chamber of my Glock 27 with no trouble.

As I have said the other name brands of brass, Federal, Speer, Winchester, etc... all resize fine and show no flare.

I can't get the sizing die down any lower. Am I doing something wrong? Or is this just specific to certain brands of 40 S&W brass.

First off, are you talking about empty brass or loaded?

If empty, do you mean before resizing or after?

By "head" to you mean the "mouth" or the "base"?

I suspect you mean the "base" of empty brass either before or after sizing. In which case, you are probably seeing what has generically come to be known as "Glocked Brass". Do a search on the topic and you'll a hundred threads.

I would be interested to know where you got the information that brass head stamped P-H is actually Starline manufactured for Precision Dela? Did you call either of the companies to verify this?

LPatterson-

I can only say that I read that information on a couple of different forums so take it with a grain of salt. But Precision Deltas ammunition does appear to have a "P-H" headstamp, and the brass is of excellent quality which makes it likely that it is Starline. But I really don't know and didn't bother to call either company.

First off, are you talking about empty brass or loaded?

If empty, do you mean before resizing or after?

By "head" to you mean the "mouth" or the "base"?

I suspect you mean the "base" of empty brass either before or after sizing. In which case, you are probably seeing what has generically come to be known as "Glocked Brass". Do a search on the topic and you'll a hundred threads.

There is no obvious bulge before resizing. And yes I am talking about the base of the case. Before resizing the mic shows the entire body at about .430-.432" After resizing the majority of the body is down to .420" Except for the last little bit like I mentioned originally which will be anywhere from .428-.430". It seems the die can't get low enough to size that last bit, but it is only on the P-H stampings! All the other brass sizes normally. All the brass has been through Glocks as they all exhibit the characteristic Glock firing pin imprint so I don't think this is a Glock specific problem. I really think it is somehow brass related.

I am confused as to why all the name brand brass resizes fine and the P-H stuff leaves the little bit unzised! It is pretty much academic anyway as it all functions fine. I just came in from my backyard pistol range after firing another 20 rounds of it and it all chambers and goes bang fine.

Are you using a lee die marked with a "U" on the side? As to getting the die lower, Can you install the lockring on the underside of the tool head? It is important to have the size die come in complete contact with the shell holder for it to work the best.

Are you using a lee die marked with a "U" on the side? As to getting the die lower, Can you install the lockring on the underside of the tool head? It is important to have the size die come in complete contact with the shell holder for it to work the best.

The die is only marked "Lee 10/40" It is definitely kissing the shellplate. I can't get it any lower as I can feel it in the handle when it touches. I think it is the slight bevel in the Lee die that is causing it to happen, but like I said, why does it only do it on the P-H brass?!!??!

Where is Manchester, Maine? I am just south of Bangor!

There is no obvious bulge before resizing.

Well, that's interesting. I'm out of my comfort zone here, but as a WAG, could it be that the brass is a bit "soft" and is being "smushed" down (like those technical terms?).

Are you using case lube? If not, try spraying the cases with a bit of Hornady One Shot (aerosol can version).

The die is only marked "Lee 10/40" It is definitely kissing the shellplate. I can't get it any lower as I can feel it in the handle when it touches. I think it is the slight bevel in the Lee die that is causing it to happen, but like I said, why does it only do it on the P-H brass?!!??!

Where is Manchester, Maine? I am just south of Bangor!

Sounds like "Glocked" brass. The standard dies do not go down far enough to resize the entire case. The Lee undersize "U" sizing dies will go father down the case and should eliminate this condition.

Like someone else said, if it feeds and functions you can just forget about it. If it bothers you, get the "U" die.

With the Lee die, you need to get a newer Dillon locking ring that is thinner than the older ones. You will mount the ring on the bottom of the toolhead, and with the RAM down, put the sizing die all the way down until it hits the shellplate. Now lift the ram up a little bit and screw the die down another half turn or so. You will need to check to see how much tension the body of the die puts on the shellplate when it is all the way down. Once you have the die set like this to "overcam" just a little bit, then use the smaller flat locking ring and tighten the sizing die to the toolhead. I think you will see your abnormality go away, and the brass will now gauge in pretty any much any chamber you want to stick it in. I will bet that your ammo wont go into the Dillon gauge, but will the glock chamber since it came out. The reason you see it after you size it is because you are not sizing ALL of the case, and the bulged area is still present. It should go away with readjusting the sizing die.

If that doesn't help, call Dillon..... ;)

Good luck,

DougC

ok, I'll bite. I'm a little suprised you have a 1050 and no drop check but say-la-ve. Two very good tools to pick from to put this problem out of your mind forever. CasePro 100 (1050 stature means you can afford it) or the Redding GRX for the common reloader.

I heard the CasePro guy has a couple machines ready and just needs time to make the Die. I run 9, 38S, and 40 thru mine, and have no issues with brass or even primer pockets. I was running 40 in a GRX till I got 40 die for case pro, it does the job.

Was the bulged there before you fired in your chamber? Is the bulge only in one section or all the way around the base? Could be the PH brass was shot in a "looser" chamber than the rest and the die is not sizing that bulge out. Or if only on one side, probably caused by the unsupported part of the chamber. Did you mic the other brands near the head of the case? I would guess the PH brass will measure bigger...

As mentioned, the Lee or Redding GRX should bring it back to spec since it sizes the whole length, from rim to mouth.

I would not worry about it, except if the bulge is on one side only, if the base of the case is over standard OD, or the cartridges produced do not chamber. I have noticed this happening with my Lee .40 dies also. I am new to the .40 S&W, but have fired several hundred cartridges I've loaded using Lee dies with no problems and good accuracy.

I had a bad experience with old Remington .45 acp brass about 1980. The brass was very thin, and ordinary sizing dies did not produce a small enough ID to firmly hold the projectile. Projectiles were frequently telescoped back into the case, a dangerous situation. Ever since, I have insisted on pistol dies that reduced the outside diameter, perhaps more than necessary. After projectile seating, a cartridge of mine frequently has a slight "wasp waist" aspect, but it does not telescope.

Thanks to everyone for the replies!

My Dillon case gages showed up today and my Lee dies are doing a fine job resizing the 40 S&W brass. Everything I put through them dropped in place easily.

The slight flare is obviously nothing to worry about, just like you all said!

Thanks again for the help.