Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frame stippling

Outside of the front strap/back strap (or full 360* frame stippling), are there any places that you prefer to stipple/checker/grip tape/roughen up on the frames of your guns? How about smoothing out?

If so, where, and why? I've seen checkering on the bottom of trigger guards, and under the support thumb with thumbs-forward grips, but haven't had a chance to try any guns with these on the range.

Just looking for more inputs on gear modification in addition to shooter technique :)

I stippled the underside of my trigger guard, right where my index finger of my support hand touches it. Much like Matt Burkett suggests I pinch my index finger between the trigger guard and the middle finger on my strong hand. One note of warning, don't get too aggressive with the stippling in this area or you will start bleeding pretty quickly, trust me I found out the easy way. The only thing I would do is make sure it is legal in the division you are shooting in, thankfully I run Open so it is all good.

Joe W.

a lot of people are undercutting the botom ofthe trigger guards, assuming its a 2011 frame??? yrs ago i butchered a frame with a dremel tool, learned my lesson, find a lil hobby sander with a belt that has a lil giveto it, will give a nice rounded feel to the whole thing, and for me, coverthe whole thing is skateboard tape,lots of people are makingthe templates forthe tape, or, as i am tempted to do with an old lime green grip layin around here is to follow the advise of one benos poster G-manbart who's stipple work is very nice indeed

I'm guessing that you're talking about 2011 style guns. If so, you're confusing the grip and the frame. I haven't seen anybody stipple the frame...not much reason to. Lots of folks stipple some or most of the grips. I typically stipple everywhere that has checkering and put a light bit of texture in the undercut and double undercut area. Some folks with really small fingers like the undercut area totally smooth to help them shift the gun during mag changes. Here's a link to the how-to thread:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=67691&view=findpost&p=784502

• 2 weeks later...