Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Factor ammo

tigerfan_9

I have only been shooting USPSA for a short time (4 matches last year) and haven't shot in several months, I will be attending the Area 4 in North LA this year for the first time and will be shooting my new rig in Limited. I recently got a Glock 35 setup for Limited along with mags, belt, etc.

Anyway, I am just getting started with reloading and have not been able to work up a load and chrono it (as I don't have one), so what would be my best option for factor ammo to make major? Unless someone wants to chrono some loads for me this weekend.

Factory or aftermarket barrel?

In my Glock 35, 4.2gr of Titegroup under a 180gr Berry's bullet makes major out of the factory barrel. 4.4 does it out of my KKM barrel. YMMV. Buy a chronograph.

Edited by Pro2AInPA

Winchester white box 165 makes major out of my G35 with factory barrel and is noticeably softer than

180 gr. Does not make major out of my G22.

WWB 180 makes major out of about anything.

Winchester white box 165 makes major out of my G35 with factory barrel and is noticeably softer than

180 gr. Does not make major out of my G22.

WWB 180 makes major out of about anything.

+1 :cheers:

I've not (yet) ordered match ammo, but I figure if I need to fly cross country to get to a match, I will seriously consider it for peace of mind.

The advantage of going with the Match Ammo service is that even if the ammo goes minor out of your gun, if the declared power factor on receipt of the ammo you purchased is Major, you will be considered as shooting Major. (See Appendix C3 and the Corrections PDF.)

If it does go minor, there is a procedure to cross check the bullets taken when you took delivery against the bullets collected on match day. As long as the delivery sample's average is within 10PF of the match day sample, you are good to go as Major. Within 10 PF translates to within 55.5 fps if you are shooting 180gn. This is a pretty wide margin.

From my experience, even on my sloppiest personal reloads where I complain about uneven metering for a particular cheap powder, the biggest standard deviation I have for a batch is 20 fps. Twice the standard deviation is 40 fps. The probability of a single bullet being outside twice the standard deviation less than 5%. The probability of all 3 delivery samples being outside the 40fps margin is less than 0.0125%.

I'm quite sure that Precision Delta holds a much narrower standard deviation for them to get certified as the match ammo provider.

In my Glock 35, 4.2gr of Titegroup under a 180gr Berry's bullet makes major out of the factory barrel. 4.4 does it out of my KKM barrel. YMMV. Buy a chronograph.

factory barrel.

what OAL are you loading to for those? I am also planning to load with titegroup and 180 JHP Zeros so I may just bump it up a couple tenths to 4.5 are go with that, then fine tune it later when I have more time. the recommended loads for titegroup for .40 is 4.2 to 4.7 so it would still be in the middle of the range, not like fine tuning for max press.

if i happen to not make major no big deal, as i said this is probably my 5th match and first in Limited so not looking to win it anyway.

Federal and Blazer Brass 180gr comfortably make major out of my TS (5.4" BBL). I have had chrono readings up to 180+ PF; generally is around 178PF - chrono'ed at 177PF for the Ohio Sectional last year using factory Federal.

Federal and Blazer Brass 180gr comfortably make major out of my TS (5.4" BBL). I have had chrono readings up to 180+ PF; generally is around 178PF - chrono'ed at 177PF for the Ohio Sectional last year using factory Federal.

I have a bunch of 180grn Rem UMCs that I may use for this one and work on my reloads for later matches.