Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 GAP in CDP

Ahab

So, I was one of those guys that bought a .45 GAP back in the day, which I hardly ever shoot now, but I will occasionally trot out and shoot in L10 over in USPSA. So how many people would support IDPA allowing .45 GAP in CDP? I don't think it would bring in a whole swath of new shooters, since I'm one of maybe a dozen people that actually owns a gun in this cartridge.

Obviously I'd support it; I would imagine that the 1911 purists wouldn't like it very much since CDP was conceived as "the" 1911 division. Like I said, I'd like it - it'd be nice to be able to trot out my XD in .45 GAP for something other than getting hosed in ESP by guys with 9mms and minor PF .40s.

It makes power factor, BUT it's a dumb round. It's expensive and those that might shoot it at a sanctioned, lost brass match would simply be littering the range for the hard working SOs whose pay is in the range brass.

I don't think there would be any support for it.

p.s. if you reload the expensive little POS to minor, you'd actually have a softer shooting round than the nines.

Edited by Steve J

As an ESR/Revo shooter I say Gimme! Gimme! I'll figure out how get those tiny critters to major just for the shorter ejection and fun of it. I say, not that anyone or IDPA cares, that if it makes 165K...run it as major. Others will say if you play the game play by the rules. What makes shooting great is that people enjoy themselves, the target array, and the company. Who cares about the extra .051 or 2?

The rule set in CDP does appear to shadow the progress of the 1911 producing sponsors.

Edited by Forrest Halley

I'd support opening up CDP to any round that can safely make 165 PF, like the foty, or the GAP, or the 10mm, etc.

I think "my favorite caliber only" or "my specific gun only" divisions are stupid, regardless of shooting sport.

Edited by Steve Koski

I would actually support opening up CDP to any caliber that can safely make the PF, so if you wanted to shoot a Colt Delta Elite in 10mm you'd be welcome to. And Steve, for what it's worth I agree that the .45 GAP is a ridiculous round, I just bought one when I was young(er) and dumb(er).

My humble opinion would be, the weight of the bullet,the diameter of the bullet and it's velocity should dictate minor/major, not the lenght of the brass. The only folks I see that like the brass, are revo shooters using it in 625's to get a little quicker reloads, but the shorter brass would not be legal for ESR as I understand it.

For semi auto use gap is a PITA at least you can tell 357sig from 40 before you pick it up.

As an ESR/Revo shooter I say Gimme! Gimme! I'll figure out how get those tiny critters to major just for the shorter ejection and fun of it.

I use 3.8gr if VV N310 with a precision 230 @ 1.125", federal primer and starline 45GAP brass. Makes major and requires no tools to moon/demoon.

but the shorter brass would not be legal for ESR as I understand it.

Any rimmed or rimless cartridge .355 or larger that can safely make PF is fine for ESR.

John

I thought you were done with IDPA.

Oh, that's right June.

Never mind.

I was, but it's still a great game to shoot, so, I'll try to be good and keep my mouth shut and shoot by the rules. Here's a first,,, no procedurals, no non-threats, no failure to engage and only 1 hit in the down 3 for the 12 stage NC Champ match this weekend, guess I'll stick with it for awhile longer

John

Oh, that's right June.

Never mind.

I was, but it's still a great game to shoot, so, I'll try to be good and keep my mouth shut and shoot by the rules. Here's a first,,, no procedurals, no non-threats, no failure to engage and only 1 hit in the down 3 for the 12 stage NC Champ match this weekend, guess I'll stick with it for awhile longer

John

IDPA doesn't have a Failure to Engage.

John

Oh, that's right June.

Never mind.

John

IDPA doesn't have a Failure to Engage.

My mistake, meant to say fail to neutralize

Ultimately that's how I feel, but I can only imagine how much resistance there would be to opening up CDP to "any major" PF gun. I figured .45 GAP would be a crack in the dam, with the eventual goal being .40s in CDP.

Ultimately that's how I feel, but I can only imagine how much resistance there would be to opening up CDP to "any major" PF gun. I figured .45 GAP would be a crack in the dam, with the eventual goal being .40s in CDP.

Great point!! Why not keep CDP as 1911 ONLY at major PF, and maybe break ESP into minor and major and shoot what you want?

The only problem with breaking one division into major and minor PFs that I see is how do you score it? Does shooting Major give you less of a penalty for a -1 hit than shooting Minor? I think if that happened you wouldn't see a soul shoot minor in ESP any more.

The only problem with breaking one division into major and minor PFs that I see is how do you score it? Does shooting Major give you less of a penalty for a -1 hit than shooting Minor? I think if that happened you wouldn't see a soul shoot minor in ESP any more.

I thought of that just as I posted,, very valid point,, it would make scoring diifcult to say the least,,maybe a good way would be keep the scoring the same, but if you get 2 down 3's with minor you also get the ftn, but with major you only get the down 6 for 3 seconds and no fail, 2 45 gut shots would neutralize most undesireable targets in my opinion, at least 460 grs of lead introduced into the lower digestive system at 720 FPS or faster would at least give you a belly ache !!

Talked to Bill Wilson at the '08 IDPA Nats about this very thing. He said........NO WAY ! CDP is reserved for the 45 ACP only.

I can't imagine why. The "1911 sanctuary" was invaded quite a while ago.

Guys, please let's go easy on the "gut shot" stuff. While the use of the defensive handgun in real world self-defense is a very valid topic, this web site is not the place for it. Please reread the Forum Guidelines. Thanks, and sorry for the hassle.

This is starting to sound like L-10.

That wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that I was just thinking about how USPSA can re-brand L10 to make it more accessible to new shooters. Although in all seriousness, I'd like to see CDP opened up to all major PF guns. My guiding star for pretty much everything is "does it bring new shooters to the sport", and if the answer is "yes" then I'm generally in favor of it.

Guys, please let's go easy on the "gut shot" stuff. While the use of the defensive handgun in real world self-defense is a very valid topic, this web site is not the place for it. Please reread the Forum Guidelines. Thanks, and sorry for the hassle.

Sorry 'bout that, did not mean anything offensive to the rules