Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 Major

G-ManBart

I got Seth's "Ugliest Open Gun Ever" yesterday and chrono'd my first 9 Major load through it today.

Starline once-fired brass

8.5gr of HS-6

115gr MG JHP

1.175" OAL

Fed SP Mag primer

Only ten shots, but the average was 1494fps, for a PF of 171.8. The gun has was appears to be a 5" Nowlin barrel, no holes, and a fairly small comp...looks like a Bedell 7-port with the last sideways port removed. Primers looked perfect. I did notice that there wasn't as much neck tension as I'd like so I switched to a U-die and that helped. I still saw a couple of thousandths of setback when I'd push the bullet against the bench, but after it was at 1.171 or 1.172 it wouldn't budge any farther. I'm going to try 1.170 and see if that changes things since there's so little of the bullet in the case at this OAL. More to follow....

G-Man that muglyother has a fast barrel, with 8.8gr my shorty only hit 164.8. I've been loading at 1.180 with my AA#7 loads with no issues, so 1.170 is short. I may try my u-die for some neck tension the bullets seem to just fall in.

That kind of looked more like an EGW comp to me.

Now that you are working on a major 9 load I can just relax and wait for you to get it sorted out. I tried minor with HS6 didn't work that well. 5.6gr of AutoComp with a 115 makes about 135pf and shoots with enough uoomph it feels good, my gun felt sluggish with fast powder minor loads in 9 major but in 38Super Comp the fast powder just work a lot better.

I'd keep that thing bagged till I got on the line. :roflol:

Chris I am running just shy of 8.6 of HS6 under 121 IFPs to make the same PF. That does seem to be a very fast barrel.

Brian

P.S. Have you picked out the classifier for the next match yet?

G-Man that muglyother has a fast barrel, with 8.8gr my shorty only hit 164.8. I've been loading at 1.180 with my AA#7 loads with no issues, so 1.170 is short. I may try my u-die for some neck tension the bullets seem to just fall in.

That kind of looked more like an EGW comp to me.

Now that you are working on a major 9 load I can just relax and wait for you to get it sorted out. I tried minor with HS6 didn't work that well. 5.6gr of AutoComp with a 115 makes about 135pf and shoots with enough uoomph it feels good, my gun felt sluggish with fast powder minor loads in 9 major but in 38Super Comp the fast powder just work a lot better.

Yeah, next to my Bedell it really looks like the same comp, and someone clearly machined off at least one baffle (didn't get it quite perfectly true). Either way, it seems to work, and I did think "man, maybe this is a fast barrel", but I don't have much to compare it too.

Keep in mind, this was just ten rounds, so it could have been artificially high. The ES was a bit high, with one really high and one really low, but most were in the 1480-1500 range.

Don't wait too long....this is probably just going to be the backup to the backup, so I'm really only looking to get a solid Major load I know I can crank out and stop right there. In fact, I may be pretty close to done if it keeps putting up similar numbers :)

OK, Ok, where is the pic of this ooglymother!

Keep in mind it already looks different. I pulled the grip and put one of my own on it, swapped a short flat trigger on it and then spent about an hour running the slide on the buffer to at least sort of even it out. Nobody will call it pretty, but it ran 125rds of both factory Minor and the little bit of my Major ammo. 28+1 ran fine in an SV mag and an STI tube that's been tuned. I was surprised that factory OAL ran in the STI tube! I think both will hold 29 so I'll try that next time.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=105791&view=findpost&p=1203242

Chris I am running just shy of 8.6 of HS6 under 121 IFPs to make the same PF. That does seem to be a very fast barrel.

Brian

P.S. Have you picked out the classifier for the next match yet?

Yikes....no, better go find something suitably evil ;)

OK, Ok, where is the pic of this ooglymother!

Keep in mind it already looks different. I pulled the grip and put one of my own on it, swapped a short flat trigger on it and then spent about an hour running the slide on the buffer to at least sort of even it out. Nobody will call it pretty, but it ran 125rds of both factory Minor and the little bit of my Major ammo. 28+1 ran fine in an SV mag and an STI tube that's been tuned. I was surprised that factory OAL ran in the STI tube! I think both will hold 29 so I'll try that next time.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=105791&view=findpost&p=1203242

G-man I can help you get rid of that gangsta mount, I've got a Dawson Mount sitting in the reloading bench and I'll throw in a thumb rest, just send me that ugly gangsta mount. Your not into the sidways thing are you?