Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2004 Action Pistol Rule Changes

SRT Driver

Guest Guest_SRT Driver

You'll get it.

Go out to Jimmies and shoot the Practical and plates at 50.

Once you get that, the rest should be cake!!

Ah! Winimac!

I'll go with you if it doesn't conflict with something more important! ;)

I'm not sure whether or not time has colored my memories, but I think I really enjoyed shooting that AP match at Wildcat last year. I want to do some more!

I know I can do better on the plates and I guarantee I'll do better on the barricades and practical. I was ahppy with how I did on the mover, but I think I can do better there too, just because I know what to expect now.

Methinks I'll be the only one with 190PF loads again. :lol:

Edited by rhino

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone help with a clarification of the 2004 Rules that I have post in part below. I hope to be shooting in the Bianchi Cup for the first time in May. I have tried to get answers elsewhere, and searching in this Forum, but nothing yet. I am hoping someone here can elaborate.

I want to shoot in the Stock Class and am confused with the new Production Class. Is this just a way of grouping similar guns together within the newly broadened Stock Class (rule 3.2)?

I will probably be shooting an Edge 5.0 in .40. Looks like it will fit in Rule 3.2. My question in whether the "optical sights" mentioned in 3.2.b. refer to "fiber optic" sights? If so, looks like I need to stick with a more standard front post.

Does Rule 3.5 mean that the sponsor can override the sight limitations in 3.2 and 3.2.1 and allow fiber optics?

Thanks in advance for any help you all have!!

3. FIREARMS, EQUIPMENT AND

3.2 Metallic Sight Firearm - Minimum caliber is 9x19mm (9mm); a semiautomatic firearm with no more than a 6 1/4-inch barrel length. The front sight not to extend past the front of the slide and the rear sight not past the rear of the slide by 1/4-inch. A Revolver’s barrel will not exceed 8 5/8 inches in length; the front sight not to extend past the front of the barrel and the rear sight will not extend past the rear of the frame. The following items are prohibited:

(a) Wings.

(B) Peep, ghost, optical or electronic sights.

© Orthopedic grips - no part of the grip may encircle the hand.

(d) Thumb rests.

(e) Compensators or ported barrels.

3.2.1 Production Firearm - A semi-automatic handgun or revolver which is or has been a catalogue item readily available to the general public equipped with metallic sights. Custom-shop pistols are not allowed. The firearm shall have no visible external modifications except as follows:

(a) Replacement or modification of grips to fit a competitors hand or facilitate loading. No part of the grip may encircle the hand. Thumb rests are prohibited.

(B) Wide "target" style hammers and triggers.

© Checkering and stippling are allowed.

(d) Replacement of factory metallic sights with those of another manufacturer.

(e) External finishes, either protective or decorative , or other non-functional embellishments such as engraving, inlays, or inscriptions.

3.3 All Types of Pistols Will Compete Together-The same conditions of time, distance, or scoring shall apply to all firearm types equally. When Centerfire and Rimfire Firearms are allowed in the same tournament separate aggregate awards must be provided. A sponsor may recognize Rule 3.2 Stock Firearms and 3.2.1 Production Firearms by providing a separate award(s), or may restrict a tournament to only these firearms. Any such conditions must be stated in the Official Program.

3.5 Sight Restrictions-Sponsor must state one of the options in the program:

(a) There shall be no restrictions on sights, sight radius, or length of barrel.

(B) Optical sights of any type are prohibited.

LM,

Fiber Optic front sights are legal for the Metallic Sight division. Several other shooters, including TGO use(ed) them. Fiber optics are considered metallic sights "of the notch and post type", to use an NRA term.

As far as production class, they should be legal since you can "replace metallic sights with those of another mfgr". I believe that the rules for "production" have not changed. You WILL want to get clarfication from Rudy DuFour before the 'Cup

if you have the slightest doubt.

Optical sights means Dots and scopes like the Burris 2x bullseye scope etc.

Welcome to the sport! You will learn a lot..I continue to see something new each time I shoot AP.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm shooting my first Action Pistol match this year at the Bianchi Cup, and thought I was competing in the "Metallic Sights" catagory, but it seems my gun qualifies for Production Division, as well. It's an STI 9mm.

Should I compete in one over the other?

Curious,

Phil Strader

Phil, I am new to this as well and will be interested in what the others say. I would suggest calling Rudy at the following link. He was easy to get to and very helpful with my question. I think you could shoot in either. There may be more catagories and prizes available in one over the other. I'm shooting in the Metallic division, so if you're any good I suggest going Production.

Good Luck!

http://www.nra.org/frame.cfm?url=http://ww...mpete/index.asp

Hope fully this will clear it up.... there is really only 2 divisions Open, and Stock. Stock is basically the same as limited and Open is anything you can bolt to the gun. Prize table for stock is usually about half what it is for Open, but there isnt really much there, about 3 or 5 cash payouts and thats it.

but there isnt really much there, about 3 or 5 cash payouts and thats it.
Funny! I've been to 4 of the last 5 Cups and they paid money to the top 20 in Stock and Open. There really aren't "prize tables" as in USPSA, but "bags" that are already made up by the prize committee that are given out in the order of finish, all the way to last place.

In NRA Action, there are 3 classes: Open, Metallic Sight, and Production.........check out the rule book.

Think you have us mixed up with another discipline.

Alan~^~

If you would like an idea of what the new rules change is likely to do the results of this years "Cup" I suggest that you check out this web sight. www.pistolclub.co.nz

In particular go to "Results" and look at the entry for 2004. The first three are all High Masters, and are also 1900 plus "Cup" shooters. Check out the results bulletins to verify, if you are not sure. Scary stuff!

Regards,

Grant J

Grant,

Interesting!

I have not shot a match yet under the new rules (3 more weeks) but after a lot of thought, I feel that if I can't hit six 8 in plates at 25 yrds in 9 seconds standing, I don't deserve to win anything, IMHO. Especially with an open gun. Now cleaning the plates means something..it's not a 'gimme anymore.

Everyone will improve their shooting standing AND their mental game which makes the mover that much easier. Practical is no big deal. Sure, xcounts will drop but the 10 ring is still 8 in.

This year, the men (and women) will be separated from the boys (and girls).

It might not be such a bad thing. If some "no body" beats the big dogs, it will mean something. Now each point counts..for everyone.

The big dogs still are, now the rest of us have to quit shooting prone "off the porch" and run with them!!!