Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2004 Action Pistol Rule Changes

SRT Driver

Grant,

Just a quick note about todays shoot.

E Hoover 1906 (1918 at 2003 Cup, 7th)

K Piper 1908 (1907 at 2003 Cup, 22nd) won the Barricade event in 2002?

Me 1879 (1868 at 2003 Cup, 67th)

Piper was the only one of us to clean plates and he had a brain fart on the mover. I missed two plates. So all we need is those sorted and we should see the scores back over 1900 all the time. :)

the X count is somewhat reduced. :wacko:

If you want to know how important plates really are, ask Carl Bernosky.

In 2003 he dropped one only bad shot it moved him from 3rd overall to 18th.

As previously stated, by many others as well as me, "the top boys will be the top boys, all that will happen is that a bigger gap will appear between them and the rest."

Grant,

No problem, anybody that wants to watch me shoot can..we all have everyone's assigned times. Let's hook up at the bar at the Holiday Inn and exchange particulars. Better yet, let's ask Rudy to squad us together!!

Maybe the camera guys will notice the big crowd watching and film our plate run!!!

Just do me a favor, make sure they get my left side when I'm shooting for X's!! :o

To Alan: My apologies, i misread something and didnt bother reading it a second time and responded in haste, my bad. As far as how far down the list payouts go, I've been as high as 5th in class and never got a check.

To: SRT: They still took the Open out of Open class. Whether YOU can or can't hit plates standing at 25 is not the point, the point is they decide to change the system because a small handful of guys are making people eat crow by doing what was said to be undoable. They rest of us now get to set new goals rather then meet the ones we had from the start. Now instead of a decent guy just getting into the sport shooting a 1200 his first match out he is shooting a 900. Great way to encourage new shooters!!

STR

Sounds like a plan to me, What bar?

By the way, there is a match at the Chapman Academy March 28, a Regional in Mississippi, April 3, and a warm up to the "Cup" at the Chapman Academy April 25 if you would like some practice. Will we see you there?

GrantJ ;)

Grant,

Forgot there are two bars at the match hotel. The bar by the pool at the Holiday Inn Select in Columbia, Tuesday night. The one by the conference rooms. Unless there is a better alternative. You know the area better than I do.

I shoot locally before the 'Cup. Columbia is a bit of a ride for a monthly match but thanks for the invite!

KimberKid,

I know. But the bottom line is that the rules are not going to change right away. If they change back..fine but until then we have to stand.

Do you usually go prone shooting steel at an IPSC match? US poppers are smaller and you shoot them MUCH faster.

Another point that might shed some light on the motivation for the rule change.

Has anyone heard if the Open "Super Squad" is finishing up on the mover, as in the past, or the plates? The Metallic sight Super Squad finishes on the plates.

It might be a little early yet but .. you never know. It has been said that the plates are more interesting for the spectators.

Maybe, the NRA wanted a rule change to give the metallic sight shooters a chance for the 'Cup since "all classes compete together" according to the rules.

Stock shooters have been shooting the plates standing for a couple years now, so I don't think that will make a great deal of difference for them. I don't think the plates will be the deciding factor there! Stock will have the biggest problem on the mover, since "lead-factor" mounts & scopes dominate the Open Class.

Just my $.02 ;)

Barricade sucks for Stock (excuse me - Metallic) shooters, especially past 15 yds.

Hell, if this looser can hit 43 plates with irons, you Open pilots should be able to avg. no worse than 46-47, if not clean them regularly. Just my $0.02

Grant,

I know who you are and, yes, you'll be easy to spot. :P The Atrium.. thats it. What is the restaurant's name Pacadilly's or something?

Accent..Southern??? New Zealand??? or was it Austrailia? ;)

I didn't think that you shoot IPSC. I suppose Open is your flavor.

Also, what is DSport doing for match wear this year? Anything cool for the World Shoot?

More deranged rambling:

It looks like AP is becoming, much to some competitors chagrin, more of a shooting event than a technique event.

Everyone admits that shooting prone is much easier than standing..I am one. And Metallic sights are much more difficult than Open.

Bullseye shooters shoot "rapid fire" at a far smaller 10 ring STRONG HAND ONLY. Sure there isn't a draw or transition but still at 25 yrds. Someone on the East Coast set a new Nat'l record of 200-16x, I believe.

PPC Shooters shoot standing at 7, 15, and 25. Yes, the time limits are longer but it is a smaller target and no target transition. John Pride and Phil Hemphill are among the best, if not, the best.

Then there is Intl Rapid Fire.

So, in a nutshell, I look at the rule change as a challenge and those of us that accept the challenge will learn something and become better shooters overall. Those that don't ...well. There's always bowling. :D

Yeah, that may be so. But the problem is, nobody has given any reason for the no prone rule change.

Most folks don't like change, especially when it appears to be completely arbitrary. But, given a logical, rational explanation, usually the change is accepted. When I asked Rudy for the reason they changed the prone shooting rules, all I got was silence. Maybe he doesn't know, but no one else has come forward to explain it. Should be an interesting shooters meeting in Columbia. Maybe the NRA will broadcast it live!

Y'all have fun at the Cup this year. I won't be there.

And BTW, bowling pin shooting is a lot of fun! Check out Stage 1 at this year's IRC. www.icore.org

STR

Remember, speed is fine, but accuracy is final!

As for the gear, we have some neat stuff this year. We have the same forward order program that we had last year but have extended the product range a bit. You should receive an order form in your entry pack.

By the way I used to shoot speed as well. Cant remember the times but it was around the mid 80's. That was a wee while back though.

Shot the Missouri Regional IPSC champs a couple of years ago for fun, had a blast. Got some strange looks using an NRA action open gun, wings and all. Was a little off the pace, but am not surprised as it was my first IPSC match in about 10 years.

Think I will do that again this year, but will be better prepared. "Major 9" may be

GrantJ :)