Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Swenson Shielded Saftey

RussB

Has anyone fit the Swenson Shielded ambi safety to a 2011 framed gun? After about 2 hours of filing and polishing, I realized that I will have to remove a substantial amount of material for the paddles to fit over the plunger tube and the same area on the right side of the frame.

If it's been done, and you have a pic, that would be great! :cheers:

swenson.jpg

Yes..its labor extensive. Have done it on

both my open.

Cool, would you be able to share a picture of two of the gun(s)?

EDIT: just found pics you posted in the Open Gun pic thread! :cheers:

Edited by RussB

Fitting the Swensons is not worth the effort as far as I am concerned. Great old idea but quality just ain't there. A pain. :angry2:

Adios,

Pat

It's my effort and time. To ME it would be well worth it, as I'm trying to put together a grand old Tripp Open gun, and the Swenson ambi shielded safeties are "Ol' School" :)

(gratuitous picture of my Tripp-framed Open Gun)

Tripp4-26-10002.jpg

you have the option to get the brazo

thumb shield to be welded to the frame

For the record, the Brazos thumbshield is NOT welded to the frame in any way, shape, or form. If you do that, you (or your gunsmith) are an idiot.

It's installed via a very simple cut in the frame that holds the shield in place when the grip is re-installed. Please do not spread misinformation about things about which you have zero understanding.

Fitting the Swensons is not worth the effort as far as I am concerned. Great old idea but quality just ain't there. A pain. :angry2:

They've always been a pain... I've never heard so much cursing from a gunsmith... :lol: Unfortunately, the newer ones seem to have further problems, like hairline cracks, etc. If you get one, inspect it very carefully before you start to fit it, in case it's defective.

I've used both Swensons and thumbshields, now, on several guns... Functionally, they're equivalent, especially if the Swenson is fit correctly, and you take the time to remove all the extra meat to fit your hand and knuckles. However, if you happen to break a safety, you get to do all that work all over again with a Swenson... With a regular safety and a thumbshield, you just fit a new, normal, high quality safety and away you go. No more Swensons for me....

you have the option to get the brazo

thumb shield to be welded to the frame

For the record, the Brazos thumbshield is NOT welded to the frame in any way, shape, or form. If you do that, you (or your gunsmith) are an idiot.

It's installed via a very simple cut in the frame that holds the shield in place when the grip is re-installed. Please do not spread misinformation about things about which you have zero understanding.

My apologies! easy grasshopper!

Yes...its labor extensive...

You ain't kiddin'! :surprise:

The pins weren't square nor did they fit the grip safety and needed tweaking. I spent 2+ hours just polishing out the cast marks and flattening the paddles. Another 2+ hours making it all fit the frame on the Bridgeport, and another 1+ hours contouring to match the frame. There was a LOT of extra material on this thing.

Here's what I came up with. Not the prettiest install for sure,

SwensonTripp002.jpg

Swenson-Tripp001.jpg

SwensonTripp003.jpg

SwensonTripp004.jpg

Edited by RussB