Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting new Steel Challenge match

Merlin Orr

I have been "blessed" with the responsibility of starting a new Steel Challenge (or SC Type) match at our local club. I know very little about it, but being willing to try to get it going landed me the honors. What I am hoping to find is an existing clubs website with some good info on any and all aspects of information to post on our club website. I hope to not try to reinvent the wheel with this and (with permission from the club's) utilize some existing info with perhaps some modifications if/as needed to fit our clubs needs.

We are hoping that the SC matches will draw some young people and get some new blood circulating in our circle of shooters. As of right now my thoughts are to try and promote a family friendly shooting event and allow people to get involved without a huge financial outlay..

Comments, suggestions, links and any other info or promotional type advice will be much appreciated. smile.gif

I have been "blessed" with the responsibility of starting a new Steel Challenge (or SC Type) match at our local club. I know very little about it, but being willing to try to get it going landed me the honors. What I am hoping to find is an existing clubs website with some good info on any and all aspects of information to post on our club website. I hope to not try to reinvent the wheel with this and (with permission from the club's) utilize some existing info with perhaps some modifications if/as needed to fit our clubs needs.

We are hoping that the SC matches will draw some young people and get some new blood circulating in our circle of shooters. As of right now my thoughts are to try and promote a family friendly shooting event and allow people to get involved without a huge financial outlay..

Comments, suggestions, links and any other info or promotional type advice will be much appreciated. smile.gif

Here you go Merlin

This is what we do at our club for SC type of shoot.

http://www.arpc-ipsc.com/RulesAndRangeProcedures.aspx

Merlin: Good for you :cheers: I tried to get that going when I was living in Corpus but the club elders would not help me out with steel etc. The boys and I just shot a Ruger match in Edgewood just outside Albuquerque and it was alot of fun. Look at the Ruger websight to see what they do. There where lots of kids and women at the match. Merlin, I would also get in touch with the guys in Pharr who do steel matches. They put on great steel shoots. I would also get in touch with the SASS shooters to see if they will come out and leave a flyer at CCPRC to see if they can get some juniors to come out. Good luck with the steel shoots and if it gets big you may see a couple of guys from here. Thanks, Eric

Eric... Even though the steel did not get here while you were in this area it was your baby to start with and you are surely one of the founding fathers....

I am still pissed you left just when they finally got around to listening to us and buying the steel...... biggrin.gif

I will look at what Ruger is doing....

Great info, Bruce. That helps a lot!

This is just one section in our local website that consolidate all the local ranges and matches, very basic but very understandable for someone looking for a match. It has the description of the match as well as several links for other information steel challenge related.

http://www.actionpis...g/svss/svss.htm

Thanks for this. Good presentation of the rules and etc...... cheers.gif

Merlin, CCP&RC has already started a Steel Challenge match. They are shooting once a month and they also have an informal practice day every Thursday. They usually set-up one or two stages to practice on. I have been going just about every Thursday to shoot with them. If you are going to the match this Sunday get with me and I will let you know what they did to get there club going.

• 6 months later...

Whoever is doing Steel Challenge, .22 is a big deal, especialy .22 rifle. Lots of very fast, very cheap fun. We do a match on the 4th sat of each month and numbers are rising, especially .22 caliber. It is also a great way to work out the kinks in a single stack, open, limited, revo, whatever - in a match setting. Several of of us shoot 2 guns, in the same squad. Since there is no pasting or re-setting, it is pretty easy to double up. That may change if the popularity continues to increase. For me, shooting an AR .22 conversion and/or the S&W .22 dedicated AR platform, one with optics and one without, is lots of fun and doesn't break the bank.