Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Source For Glock Springs?

JimmyZip

Getting light strikes on a nre G17RTF. Feels like the striker is not reset all the way. Makes a little dent on the primer. Does ignite about 90% of them, would prefer 100% Gun feeds fine, and all that, just getting light strikes. When it happens, the trigger feels "soft" if any of you have had this problem, you know what I mean. I was told to try replacing the striker spring with a new one. The gun is new, and the striker channel is CLEAN. So I thought I would get a new spring, and see is that helps. If any of you have a better idea as to what should make this happen with a new G17, 3rd gen RTF, let me know.

JZ

Jimmy,

You, of course, ruled out high primers right? Other than that if it is a NEW gun see if the striker moves freely all the way through the channel. I'm not an expert but when I recently broke an aftermarket striker I was told to do the same test as sometimes it will hang up a little. When I ran an M&P Pro last year I got light strikes when I tried a light recoil spring as it was not going all the way in battery.

Shooters Connection has Lone Wolf 6lb and 4lb striker springs.

JZ,

Is this happening with factory ammo or with reloads? Like Sarge mentioned, high primers can give you you same result. Have you changed any parts in the pistol? Any chance, if you are shooting reloads, that the settings on your press have been changed or are you using a different brand of primers? Anything less than 100% ignition is unacceptable.

RH

I am going to go through all my reloads and see if ther are any high primers. I do check them as I am loading periodically, but will go through the last lot and see. How high is high? Is flush high?

edited for spelling.

Edited by JimmyZip

If you set the round on something flat like a piece of glass and it can be wobbled, it's too high. Usually flush is fine but often slightly below flush is where the primer will rest when it's bottomed out in the primer pocket.

Edited by RangeHooligan

How high is high? Is flush high?

Flush is high. The wobble test will only tell you if they are real bad, not if they are fully seated. Below flush is my goal. I practically crush the primers in there.

Also...

On the front end of your striker, there is an area that has a cut out to avoid the safety plunger. Check this area for burrs or rub marks (especially if you have after market trigger parts). If your striker is hit there, or anywhere else, it is losing energy.

Bobby,

I am using a SDB. I have had high primers before, but will check my reloads, as I thought I had taken care of that, and had no trouble with the previous batch. (Something you have to really look out for with a CZ)

Flex,

I will shoot for below flush if I can. The next 15K primers in my rotation are CCI SPPs. I will make sure that the primers are as far as they can go.

I will let you know how this plays out this weekend.

thanks all for your insight ans concerns. You usually help me learn what is up, and that goes a really long way.

One thing I miss about the HiPower I used to shoot. It was very forgiving where all these issues are concerned.

JZ,

Any chance that some of your brass is worn out/out of spec to the point that your action isn't going completely into battery, but is closed enough to allow the striker to fall when you press the trigger? Most of the newer 9mm Glock chambers I've seen are pretty snug. If you still have the rounds that misfired see if the dimples on the primers appear to be a little off center. When you said in your inital post that the trigger felt soft, is it similar to how it feels when you slip in a thin piece of cardboard or plastic between the breechface and barrel hood to dry fire? It's not to often that a brand spanking new Glock will misfire but it doesn't mean it's impossible.

RH

If you switch to Wolff they include a new striker spring with every recoil spring. To reduce the mush in the trigger I would suggest a heaver trigger spring as it improves the reset speed with minimal effect on pull weight.

Well I got it fixed today! What it was was a reduced power striker spring. While the trigger is a bit stiffer, it fires without a hitch. I ran it through a dozen rounds of the plate rack and had zero malfunctions. I am stoked to say the least.

Thanks to all of you for the help, and some new dryfire tips too. Now I just need to but some more bullets. This little pistol is alot of fun to shoot.

JZ