Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gold Team stopped working today!

Jeff686

My Gold Team stopped working today (just after I finally got the trigger and sear setup correctly). I was worried that I had done something wrong, but found chunks of metal in the dust cover and then saw the guide rod bushing.

I've attached a picture. Is this normal? I'm using Henning's new guide rod. I didn't know the bushing was under so much stress? I'm still surprised it broke.

Is this common? Happen to any other Tanfoglios?

4553436382_dbc9c8b4eb.jpg

I'm running a 12# spring. What I can't figure out is what was hitting it. The bushing is not impact bearing (during slide motion). It only holds the spring and lets the guide rod slide through...

I checked the guide rod. It is the same length as the 'stock' rod, and there is no way it was hitting the bushing.

I'm not exactly sure when the bushing actually broke, but the gun started to malf because of the metal scrap after 10 rounds.

The only thing I can imagine is that I installed the rod and spring incorrectly. I might have carelessly caught the spring on the lip of the bushing, instead of going inside the bushing. It would then be possible for the spring to reach full compression before the slide reached full travel. As a result, there could be considerable amount of force passed through the compressed spring and directly onto the lip of the bushing.

Kinda far fetched, but (as mythbusters would say) plausible.

Edited by Jeff686

I checked the guide rod. It is the same length as the 'stock' rod, and there is no way it was hitting the bushing.

I'm not exactly sure when the bushing actually broke, but the gun started to malf because of the metal scrap after 10 rounds.

The only thing I can imagine is that I installed the rod and spring incorrectly. I might have carelessly caught the spring on the lip of the bushing, instead of going inside the bushing. It would then be possible for the spring to reach full compression before the slide reached full travel. As a result, there could be considerable amount of force passed through the compressed spring and directly onto the lip of the bushing.

Kinda far fetched, but (as mythbusters would say) plausible.

I would say you are right,...I put the spring and rod inside the bushing and then insert it,...that way there is no guessing.

I'm running a 12# spring. What I can't figure out is what was hitting it. The bushing is not impact bearing (during slide motion). It only holds the spring and lets the guide rod slide through...

I had the exact same thing happen. Couldn't figure out what was hitting because nothing was.

By process of elimination, I'd say spring expansion as it compresses loads the bushing. The bushing (like most of the Tanfo parts) is hardened and brittle and eventually just failed. Mine broke into several small bits and locked things up very nicely.

I had the exact same thing happen. Couldn't figure out what was hitting because nothing was.

By process of elimination, I'd say spring expansion as it compresses loads the bushing. The bushing (like most of the Tanfo parts) is hardened and brittle and eventually just failed. Mine broke into several small bits and locked things up very nicely.

Nice deduction. that probably it. when you broke yours what weight recoil spring were you running?

Leo

Nice deduction. that probably it. when you broke yours what weight recoil spring were you running?

Leo

10 lb Wolf spring if memory serves. The lightest spring Tanfoglio shipped their guns with was the only one that wouldn't nose dive the gun, and I ordered Wolf springs as replacements. But I don't think the spring weight really matters. It would be more about spring length and compression I would think. On the other hand, there may be nothing that can be done about this other than replace the part when it breaks, or perhaps have them annealed before installing.

Leo

10 lb Wolf spring if memory serves. The lightest spring Tanfoglio shipped their guns with was the only one that wouldn't nose dive the gun, and I ordered Wolf springs as replacements. But I don't think the spring weight really matters. It would be more about spring length and compression I would think. On the other hand, there may be nothing that can be done about this other than replace the part when it breaks, or perhaps have them annealed before installing.

I guess I am lucky, I have yet to break one. I also run 10lb wolfs but lately I have been running Hennings 10.75. Its a easy enough of part to make with a lathe at least.

Leo

Actually, this was all a ruse to increase Henning's sales. I wanted everyone to think they should stock up on spare parts !!

Just kidding. Got my replacement from Henning today. Hopefully, I'll find a match this weekend...