Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Type of Shooting

johnbh

I have been watching alot of shooting styles. What would be the best place

to start. Been looking at all the diffrent types of shooting, Starting out what would be

good for starting out. I'm not going to be pro,just want to have fun,tired at just shooting paper.

Thanks

John

I have been watching alot of shooting styles. What would be the best place

to start. Been looking at all the diffrent types of shooting, Starting out what would be

good for starting out. I'm not going to be pro,just want to have fun,tired at just shooting paper.

Thanks

John

well, of what you have been watching, what looks like more fun? There ya go.

-rvb

Check out USPSA.org and IDPA.com as they have club finder functions as well as rules and etc. I have been shooting both for years and enjoy both. There is also ICORE and a couple different types of steel shooting. Most importantly is be safe! After that have fun! You will meet a lot of great people whatever you choose.

Richard

find a local club that's doing steel matches. Speed steel, Steel Challenge, it goes by

a few names.

It's stand and shoot, against the clock, on (usually) 5 steel plates with one designated as the stop plate. 22's are from low ready, centerfire from the holster with hands above

shoulders. Shoot the same stage 5 times, throw out the worst string, time is score.

Excellent for honing target acquisition and transition skills, gets the adrenaline pumping,

but no movement and (hopefully) no reloads on the clock.

Personally my main game is USPSA---with a little speed steel, Icore, GSSF, and 3 gun when I

have the time. It's ALL GOOD! Keep an open mind, ask lots of questions before you spend

any money on gear. Be safe and have fun. ;)

You don't have to swear a blood oath to one discipline until the 4th match. Shoot what's close, try out everything you can, and then focus on the one (or two, or three, or...) that suits you best.

As other have noted, you need to see what is available locally. That being said, I agree with open17, if there is a steel match anywhere nearby you may want to use that as a starter. You get to focus on safe gun handling, the draw, target acquisition, and transitions. Once you are comfortable with these skills, you are ready to add movement such as IDPA or USPSA.

Thanks for all the responses,I found a place where they hold diffrent types of

shooting. They shoot twice a month. I live in Ca and i'm about 50 mi. from Lake Piru.

Pretty funny my dentist does some competion.Then he'll take me to another range where there shooting,

and work with me.

Thanks again

John