Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Having some issue shooting steel

Jay6

Currently a high A in Open and working really hard this year to get to that next step. I am finding that my biggest weakness in matches is wasting time on steel with make up shots. Not so much steel poppers but more small plates and the texas star. I know in order to win you need to take steel 1 for 1 just about all the time. Accuracy is not really an issue as my hits are typically good no matter what the distance. I just for some reason throw misses at steel (not sure If I am going to fast or what). I know I need to just get out and shoot more steel but does anyone have any specific drills that have worked for them?

Jay- I feel your pain. Although I'm not a high A yet I too suffer in this area. Like you, poppers are not a big issue with me. I have determined that something is causing my shots to go low on steel- hence not a big deal on poppers. Since this is the case with you, I wouldn't be surprised if your shots are going low too.

Here's a drill I'm working on when I get a chance. If you have a plate rack like at HSC, do a draw and one plate over and over again. I know my shots are going low as I can see/hear when the hit the bar along the bottom of the plates.

Some say that I am looking over my sights but you can't be doing that! I can't wait to get more feedback as well. I'm stumped as to what the difference is between steel and a paper target.

call your shots,can't miss if you do. I find that when I miss, I see the target, I see the dot, but I don't see the dot on the target when the shot breaks, My eyes have already moved to the next target.

you can never shoot to fast, just to inaccurately

Edited by Supermoto

I remember when it wasn't cool to shoot steel,

Keep your eye on the target until the bullet is 3/4 of the way to the target. look so hard at the target that you can pick up the bullet before it arrives.

At some point you will see the bullet before it arrives.

Don't look for , or at, the hit or you will end up looking at the dirt when a miss kick up dust and dirt. = big time waster and shot waister

cool.gif

Edited by AlamoShooter

Currently a high A in Open and working really hard this year to get to that next step. I am finding that my biggest weakness in matches is wasting time on steel with make up shots. Not so much steel poppers but more small plates and the texas star. I know in order to win you need to take steel 1 for 1 just about all the time. Accuracy is not really an issue as my hits are typically good no matter what the distance. I just for some reason throw misses at steel (not sure If I am going to fast or what). I know I need to just get out and shoot more steel but does anyone have any specific drills that have worked for them?

You'll find some good info if you do some searching for this - it's been covered quite a bit.

Short answer: It's easy to become sloppy on steel because you listen for the hit. So imagine all steel targets are actually paper targets. Now how will you shoot?

be

Find a mattress factory or mattress outlet in your area, get a mattress box and cut strips of cardboard about 12" high so an 8" paper plate has 2" top & bottom and long enough to give 3-4" between plates. The cardboard backer will tell you if you are moving before finishing the shot or if your miss high/low. Start at whatever your normal pace would be and since there is no feedback sound, you will learn to watch the sights on target.

• 3 weeks later...

You'll find some good info if you do some searching for this - it's been covered quite a bit.

Short answer: It's easy to become sloppy on steel because you listen for the hit. So imagine all steel targets are actually paper targets. Now how will you shoot?

be

I like that idea. I am going to write that down and work on it. Thanks.