Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 gun shotgun for those stuck in AWB states

jar

I live in Massachusetts, where unfortunately we're stuck with a copy of the 94 Federal AWB. Basically, we're stuck in 2003. I've been shooting pistol matches for a few years and am thinking about dabbling in 3 gun. I'm building up an AR and I already have a pile of pre-ban mags. However shotguns are more complicated. The AWB says semi-autos with a capacity greater than 5 need to be pre-ban. What should I look for? I'm not looking to spend a lot of money, but I want something reasonably competitive. Suggestions?

Jar,

Get a Benelli M2 Field! Stay away from the "tacticool" stuff, no pistol grip, stay with a vent rib. Purchase a Nordic extension, and practice your reloads. Ignore the posters on NES.

Be prepared to travel if you want to shoot 3 gun.

Edited by Dan Sierpina

Is your AWB a carbon copy of the federal AWB like NY? (NY's has minor changes) If so more than 5 is fine as long as you don't have a pistol grip, folding stock or barrel shroud. (none of which you need)

Otherwise if you MUST have those things, there are plenty of pre-ban HK marked Benelli's around and as mentioned truck loads of pre-ban 1100's.

Edited by cas

Which tacticool stuff?

Lots of posters on the local board will tell him to get a pump, with a flashlight, lazer designator etc. And don't forget a quad rail. :roflol:

The M2 Field, will allow him to simply unscrew the mag extension and return it to stock, before and after a match.

Edited by Dan Sierpina

Thanks-I have often wondered about shooting in Massachusetts or some of the other states with those rules.I have a pistol grip on my Benelli and I know that doesn't fly some states. I have the regular stock just in case. Appreciate the advice. Probably better to get an M2 and do what you recommend-I don't have the regular mag cap and stuff for my M1.

Edited by Jadeslade

Thanks-I have often wondered about shooting in Massachusetts or some of the other states with those rules.I have a pistol grip on my Benelli and I know that doesn't fly some states. I have the regular stock just in case. Appreciate the advice. Probably better to get an M2 and do what you recommend-I don't have the regular mag cap and stuff for my M1.

The restriction apply to sales to residents.

Is your AWB a carbon copy of the federal AWB like NY? (NY's has minor changes) If so more than 5 is fine as long as you don't have a pistol grip, folding stock or barrel shroud. (none of which you need)

Otherwise if you MUST have those things, there are plenty of pre-ban HK marked Benelli's around and as mentioned truck loads of pre-ban 1100's.

It's a carbon copy of the fed ban. As I understand it, the shotgun itself isn't banned unless it has 2 or more 'evil features'. (Folding Stock, pistol grip, detachable mag, capacity >5) However I believe the a >5 tube is itself an illegal 'large capacity feeding device'. Are all HK marked Benellis pre-ban? If not, is there somewhere I can check serial numbers?

The restriction apply to sales to residents.

All of MA's pistol BS is only sales to residents. However, the AWB applies to everyone AFAIK.

I think my plan is to keep an eye out for a pre-ban HK/Benelli, and failing that get an M2 field and just don't put the tube extension on in MA.

It's a carbon copy of the fed ban. As I understand it, the shotgun itself isn't banned unless it has 2 or more 'evil features'. (Folding Stock, pistol grip, detachable mag, capacity >5) However I believe the a >5 tube is itself an illegal 'large capacity feeding device'.

The 5+ tube counts as your one allowed evil feature.

It's not considered a stand alone evil item ;) LCFD because it's not a detachable magazine. It won't hold any rounds without the gun attached. If it did, as long as you stay under a 10 round tube you'd be legal.

(the NY version)

" {B} A SEMIAUTOMATIC SHOTGUN THAT HAS AT LEAST TWO OF THE FOLLOWING

29 CHARACTERISTICS:

30 (I) A FOLDING OR TELESCOPING STOCK;

31 (II) A PISTOL GRIP THAT PROTRUDES CONSPICUOUSLY BENEATH THE ACTION OF

32 THE WEAPON;

33 (III) A FIXED MAGAZINE CAPACITY IN EXCESS OF FIVE ROUNDS;

34 (IV) AN ABILITY TO ACCEPT A DETACHABLE MAGAZINE; "

Edited by cas

But what about:

“Large capacity feeding device”, (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994. The term “large capacity feeding device” shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition.

They specifically exempt a fixed tube for 22, so that suggests it is a LCFD on a shotgun. Anyway, I don't think there are any 3 gun matches here in MA anyway. I'll probably get the Benelli and an extension and then just put the extension on at matches out of state. The one USPSA club that's run a shotgun match in MA in the past has it listed as a rifle match this year. If I do shoot here, I'll just deal with the smaller capacity. I'm sure I can pick up a factory +2 tube for dirt cheap from someone who bought a tactical model and put a longer tube on it.