Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What would you do - no "stand by" given before start

Tim Egan

So I make ready for a short course, RO gives me "Are you ready" I dont respond, as per my choice. Next thing I know is the start signal goes off. I draw and shoot, and did ok on the stage. Of course the RO is my friend, no harm no foul. Didnt really affect my performance, but I was acutely aware of it as I was shooting. So what do you do?

Oh yeah - the question is, RO didnt give me a "stand By" before hitting the timer.

Short course - 8 rounds, the shooting was over just about before my brain realized his mistake.

If you don't react to the buzzer, the RO will begin the process again, per 8.3.4, with "Are you ready?" That's your best recourse...you have none once you begin.

Curtis

And there's the answer -- from the competitor's standpoint....

From the RO's standpoint I might offer a reshoot under 8.6.4, if I realized my mistake quickly enough. Either way the RO may have affected the match outcome.....

This is one of those situations that if you had known the rules we wouldn't be reading this. I'm in NO way saying the RO didn't screw up by not using the correct range commands. By not being familiar with the same correct range commands and rules you are sometimes going to get bit in the ass...after the fact. :surprise:

CYa,

Pat

Knowing me, latent wise ass, I would likely ask the RO, especially if he or she were one of my friends, WTF, you don't know the range commands? Then I would ask if they were "Ready" and would they please start over. Then we would laugh, finally start, and I would hose the stage. :devil:

This happened on the range when a group of us took our RO class. One guy (a friend of mine) was running me and did the same thing and I just stood there. He did it again and was like WTF why are you not going, that's when the NROI instructor informed him of his error. I just smiled :)

This happened on the range when a group of us took our RO class. One guy (a friend of mine) was running me and did the same thing and I just stood there. He did it again and was like WTF why are you not going, that's when the NROI instructor informed him of his error. I just smiled :)

Troy McManus did the same thing to me during my RO class a few years back during the in-class role playing session. He played his role to the hilt as an apparently hard-of-hearing shooter and I was the patiently repeating myself RO...it was a case where finally getting to the beep would have been twice as long as the pretend COF. :roflol:

Curtis