Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How are Wolf primers?

kamikaze1a

After months of waiting for Win primers and watching my supply shrink, I will be forced to buy the only primer available...Wolf. I had read some bad reviews of Wolf but wonder how accurate those reviews are... My understanding is that their diameter is slightly larger so require greater seating effort and also shorter so will need to be seated deeper to give proper ignition. This makes me wonder if the reports of erratic ignition could possible be due to improper seating. After all, the Wolf ammo my buddies shoot seem to go bang every time.

Anyone one using Wolf care to give their experiences?

After months of waiting for Win primers and watching my supply shrink, I will be forced to buy the only primer available...Wolf. I had read some bad reviews of Wolf but wonder how accurate those reviews are... My understanding is that their diameter is slightly larger so require greater seating effort and also shorter so will need to be seated deeper to give proper ignition. This makes me wonder if the reports of erratic ignition could possible be due to improper seating. After all, the Wolf ammo my buddies shoot seem to go bang every time.

Anyone one using Wolf care to give their experiences?

Wolf primers work OK but are very hard. If you load with a 650 or 550 most people have difficulty seating them. I only use them on a 1050 and with auto's with strong striker springs.

I don't like to be told to do a search, it really bugs me. But there is a ton of talk on here about Wolf primers. You really should do a search.

BUT.....

I have used almost 10K without a single primer related issue that I am aware of.

That being said, I got them before the "change" Wolf evidently made to their primers. I have no experience with the "new" Wolf primers. But from what I have gathered from reading post after post is that some folks say they suck and some say they are fine but maybe just a little harder cup than the originals.

I would buy them if I needed primers. For the record I run a stock production gun so maybe a tuned gun with a lighter setup might have issues if they are indeed harder primers now.

Hope this helps!

Also, as I mentioned on here once before, the only truly defective primer I ever found was a Winchester SP. Go figure. :wacko:

Also, I load on a 550 and have no problems seating them. So as usual YMMV.

Edited by Sarge

I have had great expeiences with WOLF primers in the past until my last sleeve. I had several problems with them. They changed something in the process and they dropped in reliability. If they change back to the prior style of primer then I'll definitely use them again but not until they revert.

Edited: I thought the OP meant Wolf SPP. Oops.

I have the silver ones. If you seat them well, they works fine. (well, at least in my glock)

Actually, all I could find was SR but need pistol. I will probably use my stash of WSR for pistol and these Wolf SR for rifle since I use a single stage press for rifle. Probably easier to seat the primers since it seems they will be tight.

Thanks for all the input, I guess Wolf it will be...for now anyway.

The Wolf SR primers have worked 100% for me so far in my Open gun. I wouldn't want to try the SR Mag or .223 versions in a pistol, but standard SR seem to be okay. They do take a little more effort to seat properly. R,

• 4 months later...

After loading a few hundred of these Wolf sr primers with 223, I am pleased to report that they group just as well as WW sr and appear to be just as reliable. Initially, had two misfires but realized that was due to me using same seating pressure as WW and a couple ended up being slightly short seated. I now apply more pressure when seating and have not had anymore misfires. These are the newer copper colored primers and I understand that the previous was a different color.

• 2 weeks later...