Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shock Buffs Front And Rear

DogmaDog

I use a shock buff, but I see people here talk about using them on the "front" or "rear" of their guns. I presume you mean in front of, or behind the round "head" of the guide rod that pushes up against the frame.

Looking at my guide rod, I don't see how I could get a shock buff on the rear (the holes are smaller than the raised part of the guide rod head). What do you do? Do you need some special guide rod? Do you buy some special buff I don't know about? I didn't see this addressed in the FAQ...sorry if it's been covered and I missed it.

Thanks,

DogmaDog

213-100-105 Brownells stock number

Mfr: COMINOLLI

Helps Prevent Cracked Frames; Lessens Recoil

Puts a recoil-absorbing cushion on both sides of the guide rod head to help prevent shock damage to the frame and the slide.

SPECS: Machined stainless steel. Fits 1911 Auto. Cushions: Inside replaces only inside cushion. Type-I, black recoil cushions, split-top replacement outside cushion. Type-II fits Frame Saver II, stainless steel and tungsten, guide rods. Red outside cushion, black inside.

That should explain it.

Oh, OK.

Is the Cominolli the only guide rod that can take rear shock buffs?

DD

Yes, as far as I know.

I'm a big fan of that guide rod, used one since I first saw them. It does cut maybe .015" off the slide's stroke though, so your gun needs to be a "feeder."

be

Thanks, BE!

I'm using a stock steel guide rod with one Wilson buff on it, and it works just fine (Kimber Gold Match .45).

I'm trying to decide between an EGW tungsten rod or the Cominolli.

The Cominolli is 1/10 oz. heavier (according to Brownell's), which I don't think is a big deal, $15 more expensive, and has all those shock buffies on it.

I could put all the shock buffs I want on the front of any rod, though.

Hrrmmmmm.

DD

I tried a Cominolli on my Para with a Schuemann Ultimatch bull barrel. Wouldn't run (failure to go into battery). Another shooter at my club had the same problem in his gun with the same barrel (I think he had a modular 1911).

The tungsten guiderods in my Limited guns have been there for years w/o breakage.

I have on in my Bul m5 with a skinny barrel and it definitely helps with the muzzle flip. No problems on mine so far. Good stuff.

No problems here. I have run the same tungsten Cominolli in 2 different para's and has now been in my SV for a year. The bottom of the head did need to have some material removed in order to work in the SV. I know 2 people who have snapped tungsten guide rods, neither was a Cominolli. Now, I always carry the original steel guide rod in my bag, just in case.

OK, so what's that bevel for on the back of a standard guide rod? It looks like the Cominolli does not have it, but the EGW tungsten (and others) do?

All I can think of is that it tends to push the base of the guiderod down into the frame, so it doesn't touch the barrel. If that's the case, is the absence of this feature on the Cominolli a problem?

Thanks,

DogmaDog

Dogmadog, When SVI had my pistol, they beveled the guide rod head so that there would not be an interference with the feet on the bottom of the barrel. Some guide rods come prebeveled and some need to be hit with a belt sander. It looks easy enough to do.