Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"ground" Guiderod?

Zak Smith

I took apart my 1911 for some long overdue cleaning and found this:

105_0592_img.jpg

105_0594_img.jpg

I don't remember that "grind" mark being there before. I cleaned it, and colored it with blue permanent marker, reassembled, and ran the action a bunch to see if it would rub off, and there was no effect on the marking. The pistol has been running 100%.

There are no marks on the barrel or link. The slide stop pin looks fairly normal. I basically couldn't find matching marks on any other part.

Any ideas what's going on? Did someone file on my guiderod when I wasn't looking?

-z

Looks like the gunsmithing gnomes took care of things for you in the middle of the night.

I think SV rods come shaped like that. STI rods do not.

P.S. Don't forget the "release" part of "catch and release" so that guide rod can grow up into a full-size one.

I think what happened was that the local 'smith I had install a new trigger and clean up a couple things fixed this too, and forgot to mention it. I remembered I hadn't cleaned the pistol since I got it back from him a few months ago!

thanks

Zak

• 7 months later...
I can't believe I had to fit a guiderod!

I've gotten to the point of....Everything needs fitting. Or Wow! something finally just droppd right in.

I just changed followers and had to reshape my 2 year old magazines that have never needed anything. Go figure.