Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 sw for Bianchi

Tumbler

I will assume Metallic division to begin with.

I tried it when I had an old CZ 75ST in 40 and one of the guys I shoot with ran his STI Ltd gun for a while until he got a 38Super Metallic gun. No reason not to if you canget the accuracy. With anything 155gr or bigger the mover is an issue for excessive lead. But no more ethan some guys are using for the revolvers in 38Spl.

There is plenty of loads about here for light loaded 40S&W look at 135gr or 140gr JHP, 155gr RN or SWC Lead and maybe you could look at Zero 165gr JHP. Go and search the Reloading Forum as we have done heaps of these enquiries in the past.

For OPEN.

No reason why not. If the gun has all the bells and whistles and is accurate enought, in theory the 40 will generate a little more gas for any given velocity but because the pressure is lower at say 140pf the comp may not work as well.

The best reason to try is the any projectile hole will be 1mm bigger and therefore for the same centre of shot it will be 1/2mm closer to the X ring. :roflol:

• 2 weeks later...

If you've got a Glock 35, there's no reason to not shoot a .40 in Production Division as well. A 140 grain bullet will still run the gun at minor PF, and the way I see it a bigger bullet hole just might turn that 10 into a 10x. :D

I was going to shoot my STI limited gun for the Cup. I was going to use 135gr Noslers. I found out that I could use my major load of powder for my 165gr zero JHP bullets and just replace the bullet with a 135gr then seat just a bit shorter OAL. Viola, a minor 40 load (your mileage may vary).

But, then Caspian had that sale during Shot Show and I built a 9mm single stack metallic gun to use instead. It's more accurate than my STI so that should help me get a couple more points. :ph34r: More accuracy will likely get more points than slightly bigger holes.

Chris

I shot .40 in production last year, and I'll tell you it sucked! As explained to me by a Master class metallic sight shooter, " the lightest bullet you can get in .40 is 135. Loaded to minor 130pf the bullet is going so slow that on the mover your aiming or hold point at the longer distances is off the paper. And that is very diffacult to do". And he was right of course. On the rest of the course of fire, it made no difference, but on the mover, you need a faster bullet to keep your sights on the paper of the mover.

If that bigger diameter bullet really worked out good, I would have been shooting a 50cal years ago. :roflol:

I need to figure out a way to shoe horn a .72 roundball into a 1911 following that theory.

Guncrafter have got their 50GI into a Glock and a 1911.

So with a little trimming I think we will have the ultimate Airweight 1911 for that .72.

JDJ have released the 900JDJ, but at 3500grains the projectile makes major rolling off the loading table. Still only a single shot but I am sure with some Government Funding we could really make it fly. Can't be any worse than a new medical health system??? Could it??? :devil:

I shot the Cup several times with a bushing barreled 40. A real nice load was with either a Sierra or Nosler 135 gr jacketed, and enough Vit 320 (I think around 4.8 gr) to go 1000 fps.

be

I think if I look hard I've got a nice plaque from the 1999 Cup. I used a Caspian Race Ready frame with a slide Bill Lauridge of C&S sold me, unfinished from Colt when they moved to the Improved profile slide. The gun had a STI Bull barrel, and the throat was relieved to allow me to seat to 10mm length.

I used West Coast 200 gr plated bullets loaded to around 1.200 over a charge of VV N330. Can't recall the PF, but it was definately over 120......

I shot the '04 Cup with my SV Limited gun. I borrowed the 135 JHP idea from BE. In my experience Titegroup is a bad idea. It loves pressure, and the combo of trying to get 1000-1050 fps with TG gave bad results over the chrono. Clays is a much better option - soft and accurate. I never tried N320, but BE advised me to just drop the 135 gr head on top of my 180 gr USPSA Major (165) PF load and start there.

I'd try to get the velocity up closer to 1050. At 1000 fps, your 25 yd lead on the mover is almost off of the edge of target.

At 1000 fps the lead is the edge of the target. As long as you hold a good sight picture you will be fine. 1050 will be 3/8" inside the edge. Some people are more comfortable having the edge of the target on the outside edge of the front sight which is where it will be using Dave's suggestion.

If you are shooting the Cup this year you need to sort it this weekend to ensure that you can get enough practice behind you to give reliable brain operation for your lead. I use leading edge of X, edge of 10, edge of 8, edge of Target, as you work back.