Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Revolver classification system

phara

Here's what I heard:  For Limited and Open the top 10 scores at the time are averaged to give a Hit Factor that equals 100%.  That 100% should be a "high GM" score.  Now there are classifiers out there that have "mere mortal" scores used for the top 10.  There are also classifiers out there with the top guns pushing the HF up a notch.  With the case of revolver classification, it's my understanding that the top 10 scores on a classifier could and most certainly would include some true B or maybe even C class scores.  Are you with me?  So the classification system would not have a true GM 100% after averaging the 10 top scores.  Because of this they are forced to take a percentage from a Limited Hit Factor and calculate the High Hit Factor on each COF.  I'm not sure what kind of calculation they use...maybe 10% below the Limited HF?  I believe they do the same with Production.  

Again, this is just what I heard.  

The databse is too small, so rather than go with dodgy hit factors that are skewed from not having been shot by jerry Miculek, we go with Limited scores that are skewed from not having been shot with a revolver.

(Short form:  Jerry hasn't shot them for record, so we don't know what the real HHF is.)

Once there are enough scores to do it right, the percentages will be adjusted.

I only know what Michael Voigt told me at the Factory Gun Nationals. Since he's the USPSA president, I figure he would know. He told me that USPSA purposely hasn't entered any of Jerry Miculek's classifier scores into the Revolver data base. None. However, he said, in the near future they're going to enter some of Jerry's scores, and when they do that, the next highest Revolver shooter in USPSA is going to be a B class shooter. Such people will be allowed to keep their Master ratings, those can't be taken away, but their percentages will be B class. I said to him I didn't see how that could be true, because no matter how good Jerry's scores were, the other 9 top scores would drag them down to mere mortal. Michael's reply was, "You don't understand. The reason we haven't entered Jerry's scores is because Jerry's scores are PHENOMENAL. Jerry's scores are UNBELIEVABLE."

Duane, didn't our buddy Rich Bitow win a 3-4 stages at FGN?  Remember 5.75 "El-Prez" !!

I'm getting more psyched about shooting a revolver everyday.  I just need to find a place to machine the cylinder of my 44Mag Mountan gun to accept moon-clips.

DT,

Mike V. saying that lends plenty of weight...but, it just doesn't seem to hold water.

Even if Jerry M. is twice as good as the next nine shooters...it wouldn't be enough to skew the results too far.  (nine shooters at..say...6.0hf, Jerry M. at 12.0hf...average of the ten shooters equals 6.6hhf.)  In reality, the next nine shooters would likely skew the hhf even lower.

Anybody that thinks HHF's are 'adjusted' as time goes by trusts the USPSA web site a tad too much.

There are clearly classifiers (Open & Ltd-- the others are %'s of Ltd) with "Pulled-from-thin-air" HHF's, and there are several that desperately need adjusting, but haven't been, despite multiple requests to Sedro over several years.

(I think they just want to irritate me enough to volunteer to fix 'em)

"Duane, didn't our buddy Rich Bitow win a 3-4 stages at FGN?  Remember 5.75 "El-Prez" !!"

Well yes - and I mention Rich's El Prez very favorably in my Factory Nats article, due out in a few months in Gun World. I was there to see it happen - it was PRETTY. Not to take anything away from anyone, but it's also true that after the match Jerry, and many other Super Squadders, were commenting on just how bad a match he'd shot - for Jerry Miculek. This on a performance that had him finishing 271 match points ahead of the second place shooter!