Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STEEL PLATES

I was getting prices on 8" steel plates with stand 5ft NOT AR STEEL,3/8 thick for $25.00 in my home town so no shipping in needed,good or bad,let me know,they will just be knock down,,what to do,just thinking :unsure:

I was getting prices on 8" steel plates with stand 5ft NOT AR STEEL,3/8 thick for $25.00 in my home town so no shipping in needed,good or bad,let me know,they will just be knock down,,what to do,just thinking :unsure:

Think you definitely want AR400 steel unless it is just cowboy loads. A local place quoted me $90 for five (5) 8" AR400 3/8" thick plates... so $25 a pop sounds high for un-hardened steel.

ETA: did not see that your included a stand... the price I quoted was plates only.

Edited by Jay870

for personal use and practice it would be fine. for club matches, it will get beat up and soon. I have some mild steel poppers that we use occasionally, open guns tear them up. I flip em over when they start to get pitted and relegate them to practice.

I was thinking that as long as they were just a knock down with nothing holding them they would be ok..but certainly not for a big match with a lot of open guns ,,just trying to get out cheeeep,,

Seems like KD plates are notorious for spitting fragments back toward the shooter. It's not so much the surface of the plate as it is the stand. I would steer away from mild steel and go with AR 400 as a minimum. Wish you were closer. I have some AR400 and AR450 laying around that you could have.

10" steel challenge plates from MGM are $30 shipped. They are AR500 steel and you can get 10% off if you don't get them painted. You can make your own bases and caps on the cheap. I made my own bases and caps and you can see them here.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=91752

Since I took those pictures I have reinforced the hangers because a couple started to crack. I'm not sure what you are trying to do with the plates you want to get, but in my opinion MGM's quality and service can't be beat.