Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FIRST WITNESS

CHEW

Hi there people,

Ok,

After a lot of my own research, and personal preferences I had it narrowed down to two 9mm pistols... the Cz sp-01 Shadow, and FNH fnp-9. I decided on the cz shadow for its known accuracy, and the fact that is has a 22lr kit available. so I jumped on a couple CZ forum's. Hense, I learned about the EAA Witness, wow talk about conversion barrels...sweet. I leaned heavy towards the Witness Match in 9mm. Just like the CZ Shadow it is "tuned" ready to go from the factory's shop. However, I do not want single action only, which is the only way the Match comes. I would like DA/SA... reliability... accuracy...price. So, I am going to give an EAA Witness steel fullsize (non Match) a try. I will probably order one this weekend. What would I need to do, or order to tune the stock Witness into a "tack driver" / home defense capable weapon. This would be my first fullsize auto (grew up on revolvers, and own a Ruger GP100 357 mag., Colt 32 special revolver, and a p.o.c. standard arms sa-9). The model I am looking at I believe is 999101. Any suggestions out there.

Thanks, Chew

Get the CZ its a much better gun, its more money but its worth it. By the time you get the Witness up to speed you will have spent more money and worse a lot of time.

I've owned and shot both. The Eaa out of the box has a terrible trigger, so then its a lighter main spring, competition hammer and an extended firing pin and the CZ will still out shoot it. The follower in the mags are crap and it almost always leaves one round in the mag and locks open till you defeat the lock open etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I beg to differ. I owned a SPO1 Shadow with all the bells and whistle straight from Angus and man what a nice gun. I was able to get my hands on a Witness Stock 2 and the trigger definately needed some work. I took apart the CZ just to learn what made it sing and with a little time and effort I was able to turn the Stock 2 into a real competition gun. Now I like it even more than my Shadow. The Shadow was $1200. The Stock 2 was $640. with $130 worth of parts.

From what I understand EAA jacked the price up to $800+ now but in my opinion it's the cats meow. A local Grand Master tried it out (who shot a CZ) and put in an order to Henning for 3 of them. Either way you can't go wrong. Both great guns. Just a matter of preference.

The main thing with CZ vs. Tanfoglio....quality control. I bought a Witness Limited recently, and was disappointed with the gun. Some of the parts on the gun were sub-par, and I have read that is common with them. The CZ might take a little bit of work....but there is a reason the gun was in the hands of the top shooters at the last IPSC World Shoot (1st and 2nd.

Hi there people,

Ok,

After a lot of my own research, and personal preferences I had it narrowed down to two 9mm pistols... the Cz sp-01 Shadow, and FNH fnp-9. I decided on the cz shadow for its known accuracy, and the fact that is has a 22lr kit available. so I jumped on a couple CZ forum's. Hense, I learned about the EAA Witness, wow talk about conversion barrels...sweet. I leaned heavy towards the Witness Match in 9mm. Just like the CZ Shadow it is "tuned" ready to go from the factory's shop. However, I do not want single action only, which is the only way the Match comes. I would like DA/SA... reliability... accuracy...price. So, I am going to give an EAA Witness steel fullsize (non Match) a try. I will probably order one this weekend. What would I need to do, or order to tune the stock Witness into a "tack driver" / home defense capable weapon. This would be my first fullsize auto (grew up on revolvers, and own a Ruger GP100 357 mag., Colt 32 special revolver, and a p.o.c. standard arms sa-9). The model I am looking at I believe is 999101. Any suggestions out there.

Thanks, Chew

Welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of good folks and info here.

Read through the CZ and EAA subforums here. Go back through them and see what has already been chewed over. Both companies put out good weapons (I have two CZs and 1 EAA) always remember that a few issues can crop up and those that are upset tend to be more vocal than those that have no problems.

It is always good to at least hold the pistol you are looking at to see how it feels. If not possible, do your research, set back and pull the trigger. Also, keep an eye on the Classified section as a few deals due crop up... and tend to get picked up quickly...