Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

w231 and 147gr JHP's

Roarak

I have searched the forums and most of the internet for a starting load for w231 and 147gr JHP's. From the very limited info i have found, it seems that 3.5-3.8gr w/ an OAL of at least 1.125 is a good place to start.

I have about 12lbs of 231, and 1k 147's on hand and would really like to be able to use them if at all possible. I have been using the 231 w 115gr's for a while, and have plenty of load info on those, but none on the heavier jacket bullets. I was really wanting to work up a load w 147's for my new g34.

Amyone have any fairly recent experience with the above?

Thanks!

Thanks for the info, i got a little worried when i had trouble finding loads for the heavier bullets.

I've been looking for this info too! I have a bunch of Berry's 147 plated bullets that I got cheap on one of those mixed bullet sales. I already used up the lighter bullets and now it's time to load the heavies.

Thanks for the info, i got a little worried when i had trouble finding loads for the heavier bullets.

I've been looking for this info too! I have a bunch of Berry's 147 plated bullets that I got cheap on one of those mixed bullet sales. I already used up the lighter bullets and now it's time to load the heavies.

Does anybody know what a good starting load would be for W231, 147gr FMJ out of a M&P 9L?

3.7gr W231 with 147s is a good, accurate load. I loaded out to 1.135, but 1.125 is fine, just reduce and chrono up to your needed PF. I think you will be happy with the load....

DougC

Doug Carden

USPSA A-21848

ICORE IA 8465

3.7gr W231 with 147s is a good, accurate load. I loaded out to 1.135, but 1.125 is fine, just reduce and chrono up to your needed PF. I think you will be happy with the load....

DougC

Doug Carden

USPSA A-21848

ICORE IA 8465

What is the approximate PF?

Actually worked up some loads today for the same thing shooting out of a G34.

Heres what I got

3.9 W231 - 944 average

That gives me a power factor of 139

I dropped the load down to 3.5 W231 but ran out of time to try it.

Ill test these tomorrow and see where they put me.

Edited by Jon Fuhrman

My new Lyman's manual says 3.5gr 231 set at 1.115" OAL will push 855 fps. As soon as a use up my WSF, I'm going to move back over to 231. A little off topic, but as a reference, 3.8 gr of WSF pushes my 147 gr Berry's at an average velocity of 879 fps when set at 1.145" OAL. The std dev was around 13.

For a 147 gr Berry's plated round nose, with CCI primers and 4.0 gr of W231 with a COAL of 1.135 and mixed brass, I got an average of ten shots velocity of 957 fps (140.7 PF) fired out of a Glock 34. Standard deviation was 9.8%.

This load is not in any book, so use at your own risk.