Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

caliber differences

sbgruen

Hello, I am just looking to get an Open Gun and am confused over all the different calibers for open in the 9/38 category. I looked around for some info on 9x 21,23,25, super vs 38 super, supercomp and cannot seem to find anything. Can some one point me to a link or information on the pros and cons of each and the difference between super and supercomp?

Thanks

Scott

theres quite a bit of history on the 9/38 caliber.

I haven't been in the sport long enough to tell you the orgins of each caliber for USPSA/IPSC use.

I do know the 38 super variant cases will hold more powder than a 9mm luger case. :mellow:

For open, more powder means more gases to work the comp better.

.38 Super is has a rim, and .38 Supercomp is rimless, but, the chambers in the barrels are the same.

My first "open" gun was a .38 Super and I was having trouble with the rims hooking, coming out of the magazines. I had the extracter changed to fit .38 Supercomp, and the problem went away.

I then had a new pistol built in .38 Supercomp, and picked up a used one in 9mm luger. I believe the .38 Supercomp isn't as finicky.

Some friends of mine have 9X23, which is almost the same as .38 Supercomp, except they are tapered cases, whereas the .38 Super, and .38 Supercomp are straight cases.

some would say that supercomp is a fix for a non problem, a friend of mine yrs ago showed me a lil trick to keep regular 38 super rims from'sticking' load 2 rounds, then take another round and press on the nose ofthe bottom round till you feel it 'click into place nested into the rim ofthe top round,do that tillthe mag is full, rather than stacking rim on top of rim in the mag, this also makes the big sticks reloadable from the belt because there is a lil giveto em even when fully loaded, ive never had a feed problem since i started loading mags in this manner, just my 2 cents

.38 Super is has a rim, and .38 Supercomp is rimless, but, the chambers in the barrels are the same.

My first "open" gun was a .38 Super and I was having trouble with the rims hooking, coming out of the magazines. I had the extracter changed to fit .38 Supercomp, and the problem went away.

I then had a new pistol built in .38 Supercomp, and picked up a used one in 9mm luger. I believe the .38 Supercomp isn't as finicky.

Some friends of mine have 9X23, which is almost the same as .38 Supercomp, except they are tapered cases, whereas the .38 Super, and .38 Supercomp are straight cases.

Not exactly true. Supercomp still has a little bit of rim left. They're about .006" larger on the rim than just forward of the extractor groove (.386" and .380" respectively).

I haven't sectioned a 9x23 but I've been told that they're a fair amount thicker through the web than Supercomp is (which is thick enough really).

For the OP, you can normally get one more round in a big stick (170mm) mag with Supercomp compared to Super because of the rim differences. 9x19 or 9x23 have a base diameter of .392" and Super/Supercomp are .380-.381 (SAAMI spec is .384). Because of the differences, you can normally get an extra round of 9x19 or 9x23 in a big stick compared with Super, but it won't be as easy to load or reload as the same mag with the same number of rounds in Supercomp.

Going off Nationals data and a poll we had here, 9x19, Super and Supercomp are the most popular with everything else being far less common. All three have their advantages and disadvantages, so it depends on what factors are most important to you.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=77223&view=findpost&p=893481

Edited by G-ManBart