Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Somebody else's reloads

I dont like shooting someone else's reloads and i dont like to reload for anyone else.

+1.

You run short on ammo on the range? If I've got factory loads, I'll more often than not share with someone in a match.

If I've got my own reloads -- no way. You might be the nicest guy in the world, but the litigation jackpot can tempt even the stoutest souls. :angry:

thats my thinking. if i blow upi my own gun or hurt myself with my loads, its just me. if i let someone else shoot my loads and their gun blows up or worse, ill feel HORRIBLE! let alone the legal ramifications that could arise.

I don't buy, swap, borrow, loan or sell ammunition at a match. I've seen too many beautiful reloads in factory boxes to be certain it's factory. I like using my hands and eyes too much to put them in harm's way with a reload I didn't build.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"I have the Power thing down, it's the Speed and Accuracy that give me problems"

Same here. When I RO I usually pick up ejected live rounds and throw them in the brass bucket, even if I know they are minor 9's. This also keeps other shooters from wanting to pick them up.

At the AASA nationals Man-on-Man shoot off's I kept winning but then I was out of ammo. I had some rounds that I got with a gun and loader I bought, and I thought the guy seemed fairly sharp, the loader had a powder check on it, I shoot them. I made it all the way to the Semi-Final on the first run about half way down the plate rack click and no bang! I stopped thinking its a squib, turned out it was a high primer. Better to be responsible for your on failures or success.

I am not trying to start a big argument but, factory ammo could be double charged too and I don't see why everyone is being so paranoid about shooting someone elses reloads. You trust the guy enough to buy a used gun from him, he is giving you ammo that he has used in the gun he is selling... I guess that I don't see what the big deal is. :wacko:

Doesn't bother me at all that other have a different view regarding shooting reloads. But the OP asked 'what we would do' and/or our opinion. I'm not pushing it on anyone. But my beliefs are based on my own experiences.

Actually, just to be clear...

I don't have a problem shooting someone else's reloads.

What I was actually seeking was an opinion on the method I wanted to use to do a "safety check" on the loads before using them, which involved disassembly of some exemplar rounds to verify certain details and check component weight, plus weighing each and every round to see if it conformed to boundaries defined by the component check.

I decided to weigh each round first, before disassembling anything at all, and I found a variance in weights that was so large that not only were double charges a mathematical possibility but that I couldn't count on the assemble rounds or their components to meet tolerances. Therefore, I would be unable to perform the safety check I had asked about

That's when I decided that I would be wise to disassemble each round, dump the powder and reload them myself.