Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR-15 .22 Conversion and Compensator

Shibby

I just got a Targetmaster .22 conversion for my AR. Visit the link for details, but the short of it is it replaces your bolt allowing you to shoot .22 without any modifications to your upper.

So I tried it out yesterday and everything worked fine, but I didn't think about having a comp on my rifle. I know shooting lead through a compensated pistol is bad, but what about the lead .22's going through my rifle's comp?

Yeah....depending on your comp. you may not want to shoot 22lr ammo thru it. You can plug up a high pressure in about 500 to 1000 rounds; the only way to clean that is to remove it.

Tim

If it's not too bad, a few rounds of 223/5.56 will scour it clean.

That I seriousley doubt with the breaks I'm talking about....best to do as Jim says

After 1200 rounds of .22 through my Smith break I'm not seeing any real buildup.

I was talking about breaks that actually work!! (just kidding) The breaks that have hi-pressure ports are like the Rolling Thunder comp and the ones that we make, probably a few others that I can't think of off the top of my head.

I was talking about breaks that actually work!! (just kidding)

Make one that fits unthreaded barrels and I'll buy it. Some of us are stuck in New Jersey and have to scrounge for old breaks that no one makes anymore. :)

I shot about 180 rounds through it yesterday. Checking out the comp, its a Miculek by the way, the second baffle had a small ring of lead build up. The first and third baffles had minimal build up. I was able to scrape it out pretty easily with a screw driver. If this pattern continues I think it'll be fine, am I way in the wrong?

Will lead build up on the inside the comp making the inside diameter smaller?

You really shouldn't have any problem with the Miculek, JP or F2 comps (or simliar designs). They only have baffle ports that are easy to get at and clean....the ole' flat screw driver will work on those just fine. Shoot em' up!!

JP...used to make a comp that went on with set screws, not sure which one any more....or (yeah, you're right)if they still make it.

Edited by TRUBL

From my experience, There's a lot of lead buildup in the comp after shooting about 500 rounds of unplated .22lr (I'm using F2 comp), but after few rounds of .223 there's nothing left..

• 2 weeks later...

Roedale makes a clamp on brake. It is typically used on bolt guns, but with the right muzzle diameter, I don't see why it wouldn't work on an AR.

http://www.webshop.roedale.de/index.php?cat=c89_Muzzle-Brakes.html

Make one that fits unthreaded barrels and I'll buy it. Some of us are stuck in New Jersey and have to scrounge for old breaks that no one makes anymore. :)

Shibby,

Slightly off topic, but I was wondering what you think of your targetmaster conversion and if you have had a chance to compare it to some other other coversions available like the Spikes, CMMG, or TacSol. Thanks.

I just got a Targetmaster .22 conversion for my AR. Visit the link for details, but the short of it is it replaces your bolt allowing you to shoot .22 without any modifications to your upper.

So I tried it out yesterday and everything worked fine, but I didn't think about having a comp on my rifle. I know shooting lead through a compensated pistol is bad, but what about the lead .22's going through my rifle's comp?

just got back from the Superstition 3 gun macth where we had our .22uppers out for demo.

The one upper that had our shark comp on it.....we ran 2500 rounds thru it. The primary high pressure port was totally clogged up. The second port (the horizontal port) was half full of lead build up. Now, under normal firing I am sure that these would have been cleaned well before the 2500 mark; but to clean the high pressure port, you need to take the comp off the barrel.

We'll be running A1 flash hiders on all our 22lr uppers from now on for demo :rolleyes:

Tim