Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Warren Sights - so many options

OkieZombies

So I finally decided I want a pair of the Warren sights on my Glock 17 instead of stock.

I think I want the "carry" option since the G17 pulls double duty - from what I understand it's the same as competition just rounded for no snagging. Correct?

Now the difficulty is in the abundance of options.

I think I want the thinnest front sight option.

I think I want the tritium front sight because a) it's easy to see in the dark and B) the indoor range I go to for my monthly match has poopy lighting so it's dark. I have a hard time tracking my front sight sometimes when I try to go fast because it's dark in there and I simply lose it against the black backdrop.

I've never shot with a pure Fiber-optic (Truglo TFO's are what I have used and really like).

Um, any input on the Warren/Sevigny sights and all the different options?

I'm thinking of going with no tritium on the rear, or getting dimmer tritium on the rear so that the front stands out more.

Are the Warren front sight slimmer than the Truglo? Something a little thinner would help with those longer shots.

I've also heard the Truglo TFO's aren't as durable as other sights - but I don't know how accurate that statement was.

The TFO's I have on my G21 are all green. I'm thinking about doing yellow rear, green front on the G17 since Green is more visible on the spectrum - but I don't know if that would look weird or what (through the sight picture).

Edited by OkieZombies

I have had the TFO sights, in under 6 months I broke/lost the front fiber optic rod, which is not readily replaceable, they did replace the sights for free,warranty, but it tokk a few weeks and I had to remove the sights from the pistol to send them in, on the other hand I have regular fiber optics on another gun that I shot through a port and on recoil it broke the front sight rod, I went to the safe area and added a new piece of rod, problem solved- as far as indoor poor lighting I feel a "dawson" or similar fiber front, and a TFO both w/green fibers appear to be about the same, it is only when I run a REd fiber I feel the TFO has an advantage-also the TFO is much larger.

I guess this makes 4 cents, but in my experience w/another gun I had fiber optic front and rear and was a little distracting to find the front sight, given they were all red, but that was my experience, currently all guns have red front black rear. or sometimes green/yellow front black reat if mainly indoors shooting

I've narrowed it down.

I am thinking about the Sevigny Carry Tritium with .215 front.

I used to not like the vertical dot set-up, but I think as my shooting progresses it might fit me better.

I want to see that front sight and be able to track it under recoil... The 3 dots just seem like more confusion going on in the rear sight, taking focus away from the front sight.

How much difference does the rear tritium dot make? I might just go all black on the rear for better focus on the front sight unless that rear tritium dot makes a big difference.

What is the stock Glock front sight size? I think the Sevigny carry comes in .215 and .245 front sight size - and I want smaller to be able to make those longer range shots easier.

.215 and .245 refer to the sight height, not the width.....

The Sevigny tritium front mikes out at .125 in width -- which leaves room for fairly wide light bars, and doesn't obscure much of a target....

I'm a dummy.

What is the stock sight height? Which should I pick? So many decisions, ahhh!

Glad I caught this thread. I put the Warren/Sevigney .215 FO on my G34. The gun prints high at 25 yards. If you want POA and POI to be close like stock setup I'd go with .245. I think I am going to change mine.

• 4 weeks later...

I looked for this before & couldn't find it. Today I look for a lymphoma paper and instead find the lost "rear sight" article:

It starts on page 14: http://www.frontsightmagazine.org/archives/FSEuroAnnual09.pdf

Haven't tried it myself but for people with a FO front & debating an expensive rear sight purchase, this might be worth a try.

There are many great articles, if you don't get Front Sight here is some of what you've been missing: http://www.frontsightmagazine.org/feature.html

Check out my signature... I like the 10-8 .140 wide rear with the Warren trintium front sight on my carry guns.. I prefer the thinnest all black (non-trintium) front Warren has on my Production gun.. same rear. Love the big wide rear with the thin front for fast aquisition.

http://www.10-8performance.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=24_32&products_id=39&osCsid=2e8ffa86cb4c75ba395bcd58a8b2d9e0

Edited by hawk45