Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Not Locking

ede

after the last round i've had the slide not lock. it's happened now with 4 different mags. gun is a STI SS in .40 and mags are wilson 10mms, round count would be around 5000. any idea what might be happening or how to fix it.

after the last round i've had the slide not lock. it's happened now with 4 different mags. gun is a STI SS in .40 and mags are wilson 10mms, round count would be around 5000. any idea what might be happening or how to fix it.

If you put an empty mag in the gun and pull the slide all the way back, does it lock back? If not, can you push the slide lock lever up and lock it? Does the follower move when you do that?

Where do you have your thumbs? If you grip and thumbs are high, they could be putting pressure on the slide release. Even a little pressure at the wrong time could keep the slide from locking back. An easy way to tell is when you only have this issue when using a two-hand grip and you get consistent lock-back when shooting one-handed.

it's not my grip or if it is i only have this problem with this gun.

i have 12 mags, the springs have never been replaced and if they would with no more use than they've seen i'll trash them all and never use wilsons again. one of the problem mags has never been used until last weekend. right now i've had this problem with 4 mags. the gun and parts are stock. my guess is something has got screwed up or i've screwed soemthing up but i don't see anything. thanks for the replies

should also add the problem is random even with the problem mags. sometimes they work and sometimes not.

Edited by ede

talked with some of the local shooters i been shooting with and they seemed to think it was sand getting in the mags and causing my problems. not hard to believe, there's nothing but sand here (Alabama) and I never had the problem at home (Ohio)where there isn't any sand. i take them apart and clean the mags after each match, but too hard to get apart for me to clean during a match and thinking about it i never have the problem early on in a match.

Check the frame area where the slide stop pivots up and down for burrs.

Also, check the slide stop itself where it contacts the slide to lock it. Many times the tab becomes rounded from use and will not engage properly.

Look at the slide stop at the base of the pin for burrs, as well as the lever area, and polish etc as applicable.

Check the slide cutout at the lockback notch for filth and peening, which may also prevent lockback.

Finally, get a look at the link, making sure it's not burred, and be sure to have enough lube on the slide stop, so it can pivot freely.

Look at you followers and check them for burrs.

All these areas can cause and issue . . . .hope it helps. . .