Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti edge .40 - deal or no deal

Delray

A local guy is selling the package below and just dropped the price to $1950. Does this seem like a fair deal?

Sti edge .40, hard chrome, alleged to be a Dawson tuned pistol, approx 5k rounds

box and paperwork

6 Sti mags with aluminum extensions (look like Dawson but not marked)

velcro style belt (no name, maybe cr speed)

lmi holster

safariland mcormick tripp mag pouches (4)

5 main springs

7 rubber buffers

original slide stop

4 firing pin springs

6 new sti mag followers

complete recoil assembly guide/buffer tube

shooters tournament series case

If I buy the setup I can also buy around 1k of reloaded .40 for $180 and 5k pieces of .40 Montana gold 180gr cmj for $500.

That's not a bad deal if it's what you're looking for. You'd pay $2200 for the gun alone (you could probably check the serial number with Dawson) and the rest of those parts add up to at least another $500 (bag is over $100, mag tubes alone $300, etc). R,

I am looking at it like this

pistol with 1 mag $1500

5 additional mags w/extensions $300

lmi holster and mag pouches $120

bag $40

spare parts $50

$2010 total .. So not a steal but not a bargain.

I am looking at it like this

pistol with 1 mag $1500

5 additional mags w/extensions $300

lmi holster and mag pouches $120

bag $40

spare parts $50

$2010 total .. So not a steal but not a bargain.

A stock Edge is $1800. If it's been shot a little it's still worth $1500. A Super Tuned Edge is $2200 and with a little use is still worth probably $1800-1900. I don't think you can buy anything but the raggediest Shooter's Connection bag for $50, much less one in decent shape. STI tubes that are used, but in good shape are probably going to be $35-40 each. Just the gun and tubes alone are worth $2K or more.

I have bought and sold several Edge's and a STI Infinity limited gun. The deal sounds good to me. I'm always up for a deal I can turn around and make money on.

A good Edge blued with 1 mag normally brings $1500 if its hard chromed $1650 and those are jump on it prices. Good means some usage wear a dawson Ice mag well or similar, fiber optic front sight and a 1 1/2#-2 1/2# trigger than does not follow and less than 25,000 rounds. Press down on the barrel hood when its in battery if it moves walk away. A little slide play side to side is ok, some up and down slide play is something to think about much at all will cause it to string shots. Since it is hard chromed it ought to be fairly snug.

Mags with base pads bring $75 as fast as you can mail them.

STI folowers well I don't use them I prefer Dawson in 40 or Grams.

Get all the info about the recoil spring, and the load from the seller so you got a place to start. First trip to the range zero the sights and test all the mags. Then you are ready for the real test, a match. Limited guns hold their value better than open guns and at that price if its a good gun you can always get your money back out of it.

Don't hesitate to try holding out 1800 or 1850 and say that's all I got if your ready. The trick to making offers is don't insult the seller, normally if you get close they go for it. A $100 here and there adds up.

I decided to buy it today. Ended up spending $2450 for the STI setup, approx 3000 180gr montana gold bullets, a dillon CV-500 vibratory cleaner, dillon media separator and PACT club timer II. Hopefully this was not a mistake :)

DSC_0534.JPG

Looks like you did allright for yourself, not counting the Tumbler and Timer. I have the same gun and love it, even enough to put my open gun in the safe and shoot it a few months each year. Limited is just a lot of fun, open, seems to have more pressure.

good point :)

Just teasing :P

P.S. I can't quite tell from the pics, but if the grip is stock, a little bit of shaping and stippling makes them feel worlds better. I posted directions in the gunsmithing section that you can download on how to do it if you're interested.

Edited by G-ManBart

If it's the set up I think it is, it's in Great shape. Have fun with it. It will be good to see it back at the range. Really glad it has a good home.

it is that setup. I appreciate you talking with me about it prior to the purchase.