Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone doing it "Old School"? with powder?

EMTCurly

I just thought I'd throw this into the mix. Granted I'm still a newer reloader compared to many of you, so I don't have the experience you've gained by experimenting with different powders and load recipes, but I have a thought.

Right now I'm using Titegoup, and yes on occasion I've noticed some smoke when using lead bullets (all I use), and while I don't find anything about this powder too offensive, I'm always on the lookout for "the best" or at least "the better".

Titegroup is touted as burning HOT (maybe too hot?); some say Clays you have to load to the max to make major; etc, etc, etc....

What about some old school classic .45 powders? Where do they fit in with todays shooters and is anyone still using them? I guess the main one I'm thinking about is Bullseye. How hot is it compared to Titegroup? And how easy is it to make major with?

I'm guess I'm just exploring my options on powder given what's available in my area. Let's have fun debating THIS chapter!

There is definitely a large group of dedicated Bullseye guys out there 'cause they spout off regularly all over the internet when folks talk 'best this' or 'best that' for the 45. I don't know anything about it, and would like to hear why folks don't go for it so much around these here parts. Same deal with Red Dot--looks good on paper, but no one ever mentions it in the 45 Auto context.

I'm sure there are at least a few folks who believe Bullseye is the powder God intended for this round, but it seems they get fairly thrashed whenever they speak out. It could be because there seems to be a real fuss over 'clean burning', although I'm not sure why. I know i'm more concerned about char-broiled roofing tar under my extractor than unburned propellant blown through the gun, and I don't really care how much crap is in the barrel after I'm done for the day. But, I do like clean if it's an option. Bullseye seems to take some heat for not being as tidy as some.

I loaded Bullseye for years and finally ran out. Used 4.5 grains behind a 200 LSWC @ 1.242 OAL to make major consistently. Tried Clays and found it to be softer shooting and just as consistent. Now I have a lot of Clays and won't run out for a long time.

Dirty powder is a good device for making sure your 45 is still real world.

If 'dirty' powder can make it quit running I don't need it.

earl

Dirty is relative to how many rounds between cleanings and is not a problem for the average 1 day match. I found Titegroup to be as dirty as W231 inside but with a brown residue around the muzzle. 500 rounds of Clays will cause the cyclinder to drag on the barrel. Pick a powder and track the number of rounds before the first jam, then try another powder. Even VV320 is dirty after a few 100 rounds and crimp plays a big role.

I started loading and shooting 45 and have shoot 10's of thousands of reloads in it. My most used load was a 200 lead swc over 6 grains of 231,with this load I have shoot many matches, and also carried this round and have shoot a lot of small game with it. This load PF is 192, so very good on pepper poppers, the old ones where very heave and would not fall with the loads we shoot now. If you came out with a 9mm you where laughed at. I could shoot about 1000 rounds between cleanings and never have a problem with malfunctions.

I would not use this load at this point I would use about 5.5 grains and crono to see what power factor it was, I think that 231 is one of the most accurate powders for the 45 and lead bullets.

I have also used large amounts of red dot it works very well 4.8 to 5.0 grains with 230 grain lead round nose is a very good load I also loaded 200 swc with 5.2 and worked very well.

One comment I lived in Alaska and Idaho at this time and I carried my 5 inch government model every where I went. from cannoe trips down Alaska rivers to back country pack trips and this gun never failed me.

I'm really not too concerned with how "dirty" a powder is. And "smoky"? Most of my shooting is outdoors so that's not an issue either. I guess what I'm curious about is how "hot" Bullseye is. I know its a fast powder, faster than Titegroup I believe, but does it burn hot enough to melt lube, melt a soft lead bullet or melt the moly coating on bullets? I would think that if Bullseye has been used for as long as it has been it can't be TOO bad, but one still has to ask.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm getting to the end of my supply of both Titegroup and Unique and am debating whether to buy more of the same (or just one) or try something different. Powder will be used in both my 625 and my Glock 19.

I load 45 ACP mainly for bullsye pistol with 185 gr.SWC at 720 to 790 fps and 185 gr. JHP at ca 800 fps. The cleanest burning powders I have used have been VV N-310, WST, American Select, E3 and Clays.

Solo 1000 is good with lead and 9mm, Ive shot some in .45 (200 and 230gr lead) and liked what I saw, but dont have any hard data yet until my Clays and 231 is gone.

Solo could be a good 2 caliber powder.

Edited by DWFAN

solo appears to be cleaner with lead in 9mm 40 and 45. i"ve used clays with 45 extensively and like it. less dirty and sooty than TG. Solo seems to leave less carbon residue.

I've used e3 in my Limited loads for the last two years and got turned on to solo by a friend. i like it, feels the same, takes a bit more powder but is less spikey than the e3.

Clays with a 200 LSWC at 4.2 gr is a wonderful load.. or about 3.6gr with a 230 lead RN.

Edited by Bear23