Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mental thought suggestions?

stryfox

Ok so I have been having this problem at matches lately.

Example,

On one COF the SO said three shots on each ect,ect,ect.

Buzzer goes off 123, 123, 123 while retreating, move over to cover and shoot around barricade, 12, reload 12,12. I called good shots.

Unload and show clear, dam I forgot to put 3 on those last three target.

I seem to be having these mental errors lately.

I am trying to keep my mind relaxed and be aware and observer the shooting.

When I do this I am making mistakes that deviate from the normal” look at the stage and shoot it by the rules".

I use to do things like say 3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3, over and over or "head shots head shots"in my head if that is what was called for, but then my awareness suffers.

Any suggestions on how you guys cope with this?

What goes on in your mind that doesn't detract from the actual shooting?

I hope I explained it right, if it is not clear I can try to elaborate.

I have the problem. In my case I think I was distracted by other thoughts going into the stage, maybe going into the match, and was never in the program to start with. What I am trying to do is clear my mind and get into a ZONE before the stage/ match. 2 weeks ago I did great. Last week I was not there. I don't know the answer, but wanted to let you know that other people have the same problem.

George

It doesn't sound like you are programming the stage properly before you shoot it.

Once I know the stage and get my plan down, I visualize going through the stage as many times as I can while the shooter before me is running the stage and while they are scoring and pasting his run. I visualize everything just like I was shooting the stage in my head. I shoot the stage in my head as many times as I can before I step up to the line. Then when its my turn and the buzzer goes off, I'm just playing back what I've rehearsed many times before. Visualization is a very powerful and under utilized tool.

90% if this game is mental, the other half is physical ;)

This is what I had to do to stop screwing up on stages. Try to spend as much time visualizing yourself shooting the stage as you can. Show up early and look at the stage descriptions and the stages if they let you, hurry to the next stage after shooting your last one and really run it through your mind. Do not help tape or score when you are up next (though please do every other time), just relax and run the stage again in your head. Don't change your plan a bunch either. Make a plan and then follow it. I still have issues sometimes when I'm a safety officer and we have to rush to shoot so I treat that as training for blind stages :)

I had a similar problem last year at the postal match. They had a string that required 2 rounds each weak handed. Every other time I shot a weak hand it has been 1 round each. Well, I put 1 round each. Didn't even know what I did till they started scoring.

It doesn't sound like you are programming the stage properly before you shoot it.

Once I know the stage and get my plan down, I visualize going through the stage as many times as I can while the shooter before me is running the stage and while they are scoring and pasting his run. I visualize everything just like I was shooting the stage in my head. I shoot the stage in my head as many times as I can before I step up to the line. Then when its my turn and the buzzer goes off, I'm just playing back what I've rehearsed many times before. Visualization is a very powerful and under utilized tool.

Shibby is absolutly right.

Visualize each shot on each target with the details you want to see to make the shot on that particular target, see the sights lift and return and lift then see the next target and the sights sliding in.... Program what you are going to see for set-up points on the ground, what your reloads are going to look like. Basically you want as much detail as you can. Runs this video as many times as you can. then when the buzzer goes off your body should just do it without thought(well that is the theory anyway) the more you practice this the better it will work and you really can start to sit back and enjoy the show. :cheers:

This is it in a nutshell. Do it right and when the buzzer goes off you won't have to think about anything at all. It just happens. Best stages I have are the ones i don't really remember shooting. I think there was a nice quote about that around here recently.

It sounds to me like you're trying to think your way through the stage using your conscious mind. Unfortunately there are just too many things to think of, and your conscious mind gets overwhelmed.

As has already been mentioned several times, visualization is key. There are basically two approaches to visualization. what might be called the external approach and the point of view approach.

The external approach consists of visualizing yourself, as if you were another person standing there watching yourself shoot. See yourself do everything you need to do to ace that stage, perfectly.

The point of view approach is to visualize things as if you were looking out through your own eyes during the stage. See the gun come up on target, see the front sight flip as many times as it needs to on each target, see yourself reload where appropriate, etc.

I use both, frankly.

Then, perhaps just as importantly, when the time comes to shoot, put all that aside. Don't try to consciously play that "tape", instead clear your mind, let the tape play itself without the interference of the conscious mind. And it will, more smoothly and flawlessly than you would ever have believed possible until it actually happened. :D

I am going to practice this, make sense too as this is what I did when I started playing this game...

I'm going to set up some targets out back for dry-fire and have my wife or a friend tell me the cof they want.

When I set the cof up myself it is a no brainer.

Thanks for all the good suggestions.

:cheers:

Edited by stryfox

My way, and there are many, is to perform the stage in your head until you can't get it wrong.

I start out slow a couple of times...look where I want the bullet to go, move my eyes to the next target, look where I want the bullet to go etc. I build in my reloads and footwork next. Then I speed it up to medium speed. Mentally the same...look where I want the bullet to go.....make sure that you step here etc. Eventually I mentally work up to "full speed".

Then as others have said above, at the beep let it all go and let your unconscious mind take your body for a ride. It is a pretty cool feeling when you shoot a "programmed" stage. Nothing like it, for me it seems all slow motion.

I have this exact same problem. I just started shooting IDPA this year, but have been shooting for 25 years or so. During matches, my shooting is pretty darned good. Mostly A's and fairly quick for a newbie. I just cant do anything else right. I screw up the engagement order, completely bone reloads and pretty much just completely suck at every part of the game that doesnt involve putting rounds on target. Ive been doing alot of dry firing and running practice stages around the house and have noticed that i am slowly picking those skills up. My only suggestion is to read as much as you can and practice the mental aspect at home, not just during matches. I am just trying to keep myself from going "full retard" when the buzzer goes off.

Ohh, first post!

After watching a video by Saul Kirsch, he reccommended that you walk it in your mind, look at the stage and imagine each shot, then close your eyes and picture each shot and how you will shoot it, this trick seems to be working for me so far. Still have the occasional brain fart, but that may be due to my ever increasing chronological status, or the fact that I'm one of those revo shooters, best of luck figuring it out