Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Divisions

ST43130

Just getting back into USPSA after a long layoff (16 years) and trying to figure out where my equipment fits into the different divisions without going out and spending alot of money right away.

1. I like the idea of Production Division and have a Glock 19 and accesories that would seem to be ok to use. However I am confused with 10 round limit after start signal. Does this mean that I can chamber one then load a full magazine of 17 (+2 basepad or Glock 17 mag) but after that limited to 10 on the reloads, or can I only have 10 in the gun at any time?

2. I also have a Para P14-45 that I was thinking might be good for the Limited Division. However, I see there is a prohibition on thumb rests or components which could be used as such. My question is would an extended thumb safety (Wilson I believe) violate this rule?

3. My old single stack 1911 has a SA magwell/mainspring housing on it. Does anyone know if it would fit into the "box" for the Single-Stack Division or should I just breakdown and buy some 10 round mags and shoot Limited-10?

Thanks, Steve

#1 - All mags can only be loaded to 10 after the start

If you cound the one in the chamber.. you can start as 10+1 = 11

You can barney up from an 11 round mag at the start, but don't forget if you have an unloaded start lol.

normal basepads only (few exceptions)

#2 - Not sure about #2 - I'd have to see it.

#3 - Will probably fit

1.) Magazines may not have more than 10 rounds in them. Adding one in the chamber, you can have 11 rounds in the gun total, maximum.

2.) An extended safety is not considered a thumb rest for the purpose of recoil control.

3.) The 1911 with the S&A mag well will fit the box for single stack. Keep in mind that an empty mag must be inserted in the pistol for the box check. Some mag pads will need trimming to fit.

Welcome back to the game!

1.) Magazines may not have more than 10 rounds in them after the start signal. Adding one in the chamber, you can have 11 rounds in the gun total, maximum.

2.) An extended safety is not considered a thumb rest for the purpose of recoil control.

3.) The 1911 with the S&A mag well will fit the box for single stack. Keep in mind that an empty mag must be inserted in the pistol for the box check. Some mag pads will need trimming to fit.

Welcome back to the game!

Made a slight correction. It's totally fine to walk to the line with 10rd mags on your belt and one with 11 rounds in it for the initial load so long as it's not an unloaded gun start. R,

The production division seems like a good way to get back into the game. Everyone is on a pretty level playing field equipment wise so you don't need an exotic custom gun to be competitive. (not that this helps alot of folks) I do love my single stack, but my G-34 is my fire arm of choice!!

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks for the advice. Now someone goes and mentions G-34 and I look it up and see that I need one. Then mags, because my G-19s won't work and probably at least a new holster. At least the mag holders should work....

Thanks for the advice. Now someone goes and mentions G-34 and I look it up and see that I need one. Then mags, because my G-19s won't work and probably at least a new holster. At least the mag holders should work....

You certainly can play the game with a G-19 and 5 mags. I would play with what I already own... until I decided what division and gear I wanted to use.

+1 on starting with what you got. I kind of wished I had just shot single stack from the beginning, since I already owned a Springfield Loaded. But, I went out and bought a G34 to shoot production.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the G34, but I've got about $700 in the gun so far, and I'm not even done.

I could have saved $500 of that and put $200 on my 1911 and been good for single stack.

I realized that the G34 did nothing but cost me money. I really couldn't (and still can't)shoot to the ability of that gun.

So, shoot production with the 19 or shoot single stack with the 1911.

You'll change your mind 20 times.

Shoot the 19. I started a couple of matches with the G19, Serpa holster, uncle mikes dual mag pouches and some 2" belt. One match, I just decided I wanted the G34 and bought it. From there, I did put a couple hundred dollars into internals and sights, but I enjoy that work. I also have a Springfield Loaded with an S&A flat mainspring/magwell that I've done work to - and I built out a G35 that I run limited.

I love shooting all different disciplines - and production vs. limited vs. single stack are all different disciplines, despite being different platforms and equipment, IMHO. There are those that choose to go the 4k+ limited rig route and those that doubt - as long as they play the game they want to - so be it - it's why we have classes.

I would say bring what you like to shoot - and run it. Someone will let you run their G34 - then decide whether you want to start rolling down that path... but definitely shoot the G19 first. No sense buying something you may not need...

Also - though you were around several years ago - but I tell new shooters that come with G19s or other platforms. I put them in limited minor - tell them to load the magazines to the top and be safe the first night. Reload at slidelock and just see what it feels like to move under charge... why worry about 10 round this - mag change where, plan what... just run wide open until shes empty

Edited by aztecdriver

I know a guy who started out by shooting a Glock 26 in production and IDPA for a couple of years. So I'd shoot the 19, until I saw what divisions were popular (i.e. which pond I'd like to play in.)

I started out in Production because a GM was playing there -- and I figured that I could gauge my improvement off of his performance. Eight years later, Production's really grown, and there's a very deep talent pool in B class (Not unusual for us to see 8 competitors in the class during the summer) along with some A and C shooters to make it interesting.....

A few matches should tell you where you want to play --- and the nice thing about the 19 is that it's legal for all divisions other than SS and Revolver....