Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glocklover

glocklover

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The classifier went fairly well. About 9 guys showed up. No major problems. The classifiers that I used were Six, Seven, El presidente, and steely Speed V (my favorite). They were nice simple stages. Easy to setup. Fast to shoot. I classified in production and limited. I don't know how well I did. If I were to guess. I would say I classified as a "B" shooter. Will see in a few days. Overall, it was a good day.

O.K. I've been following Ben Stoeger for awhile now, and I've deciede to have him as my mentor. I'm not going to buy a new gun, because I dont think that it will make me a better shooter. He shoots one gun a beretta 92 (very well I might add). So, I'm going to pour all my money into ammo and see if I'm any better next year.

Anybody have any thoughs? Anybody tried this? Think it will work?

I am flattered! I can tell you this. You can buy a new gun and buy better gear. Most guys are going to shoot a lot better a lot easier with a lighter trigger and better sights.

I am flattered! I can tell you this. You can buy a new gun and buy better gear. Most guys are going to shoot a lot better a lot easier with a lighter trigger and better sights. That’s just the way it is. That is the reason competition shooters are always monkeying with their guns. I learn more by challenging myself. Shooting groups at 25 yards with an open gun is one thing. Shooting groups at 25 yards with a double action pistol that you decock after every shot is quite another. You will learn more faster by challenging yourself.

Good call on buying ammo.

O.K. I've been following Ben Stoeger for awhile now, and I've deciede to have him as my mentor. I'm not going to buy a new gun, because I dont think that it will make me a better shooter. He shoots one gun a beretta 92 (very well I might add). So, I'm going to pour all my money into ammo and see if I'm any better next year.

Anybody have any thoughs? Anybody tried this? Think it will work?

I am flattered! I can tell you this. You can buy a new gun and buy better gear. Most guys are going to shoot a lot better a lot easier with a lighter trigger and better sights.

I am flattered! I can tell you this. You can buy a new gun and buy better gear. Most guys are going to shoot a lot better a lot easier with a lighter trigger and better sights. That’s just the way it is. That is the reason competition shooters are always monkeying with their guns. I learn more by challenging myself. Shooting groups at 25 yards with an open gun is one thing. Shooting groups at 25 yards with a double action pistol that you decock after every shot is quite another. You will learn more faster by challenging yourself.

Good call on buying ammo.

Thanks Ben. I'm going to keep shooting as much as I can and keep challenging myself.

Fun match today. Very challenging stages. First one I exceded my speed limit. I went to fast. I though I was calling my shots, but I had two misses. It was about 18 rounds. Each stage build on the other. So, the second stage is the first stage with more added to it. It was about 32 rounds. I had to think a lot with this stage. I had to break it down into managable pieces. It would of been easyer if I was shooting limited, but that was the challenge. The third stage I had to reload five times. It was 43 rounds. I think I hurt my brain thinking about it so much. It was by far the most fun stage. You started out with a loaded shotgun. Five rounds in it and you shot the texas star first. Not as easy as it sounds. The recoll of the shotgun made it hard to go fast. After you shot the texas star then you loaded your gun and shot the rest of the stage. I think I shot it pretty good. I shot production, so it was alittle more challenging for me. Except for Mike, everyone else was shooting either limited or open. I was the only one shooting production. Except for the first stage with the two misses I though I shot it pretty well.

Just saw my results from the classifer shoot. I am now a "B" class shooter in both Limited and Production. No big suprise. It's about what I expected. I'm glad I'm classified for Area 5.

I've got a long way to go before I get to GM. I better start reloading some bullets.

O.K. two of the classifers that I shot were steely speed V and El Presidente. I shot steely speed in 3.8 seconds. I need to shave a second off my time to 2.9 seconds minimum to be at GM level. El Pres I had a HF of 6.5. My time was about 8 seconds. With a score of about 50. I think. Anyway, my HF needs to be at least 10. So, I need to decrease my time to 6 seconds and try to hit all "A"s.

I also want my draw time for the first shot to be under 1.4 seconds.

Edited by glocklover

I dry fired this morning before the I went to the steel match for about 15 minutes. It didn't seem to help me my first run. I felt very slow. My second run seemed to go better. I felt more relaxed. I don't know how I did.

Made the mistake of going to Sportsmans after the match. They have a Kimber that I would love to have. I'm trying to resist, but I might not be able to. Will it slow me down if I buy a different gun? A 1911 is a very different gun than my Glock. It has a safety. It feels different. It weighs more. I seem to be getting better. I had a guy that I very much respect give me a compliment that he has seen me steadly improve. I don't want to stop improving, but I would really like a nice 1911.

Sunday's match cancelled for some Memorial match that I can't make. Shit. I was looking forward to shooting this weekend. Even the range is closed so they can setup. I geuss I can go to Van Meter and practice.

I have been reading your range diary for some time now, I am very impressed with your dedication. I do not practice much at all, dryfire once a week just before a match. I too am a B class shooter but really don't have the drive and dedication for improvement that you have. It's pretty cool that a top GM like Ben S chimed in with some great advise for you. Keep up the good work and look forward to beating guys like me that just get by on our good looks. :roflol: Dan

I have been reading your range diary for some time now, I am very impressed with your dedication. I do not practice much at all, dryfire once a week just before a match. I too am a B class shooter but really don't have the drive and dedication for improvement that you have. It's pretty cool that a top GM like Ben S chimed in with some great advise for you. Keep up the good work and look forward to beating guys like me that just get by on our good looks. :roflol: Dan

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm trying to improve, but some times I get fustrated when I can't make it to matches.

How long have you been shooting? Do you shoot production?

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm trying to improve, but some times I get fustrated when I can't make it to matches.

I have been shooting my whole life but USPSA only about 5 years, I didn't make much improvement until the last couple of years, I just stuck with it and started getting better. I am pretty involved locally with our matches, I am a club President and MD for a local club and that takes up a lot of my time. I shoot a match just about every weekend in the summer. I have allways shot Production until this year I am shooting Lim 10 and really am enjoying it. I was using a G34 but picked up a G24 this year.

I have been shooting my whole life but USPSA only about 5 years, I didn't make much improvement until the last couple of years, I just stuck with it and started getting better. I am pretty involved locally with our matches, I am a club President and MD for a local club and that takes up a lot of my time. I shoot a match just about every weekend in the summer. I have allways shot Production until this year I am shooting Lim 10 and really am enjoying it. I was using a G34 but picked up a G24 this year.

Go Glock! Do you like the G24? I have a G35 that I use for both Production and Limited. I've though of buying a G24, but I don't think that it would make that much of a difference. Just a little longer barrel. Any other difference?

There really shouldn't be much of a difference between the G35 and the G24, If you have the cash laying around and want a dedicated Limited gun then I would get one if I were you. Then you could custumize and trick it out and not have to change anything when you want to shoot Production. :cheers:

Well Area 5 is fast approaching. I wish I could get more matches under my belt, but I'm just going to have to be happy with just practicing.

My search for a 1911 has been more difficult than I imagined with only a limited amount of cash to spend. Other wise I would have one. Oh well, I'll just keep shooting my Glock.

What kind of 1911 are you looking for? I know what it means to get the bug. I was always a Smith revolver shooter and Glock on occasion but the first time I shot a 1911, it was all over. You know that now you are going to have to buy an all new setup. I enjoy following along, thanks.

Well Area 5 is fast approaching. I wish I could get more matches under my belt, but I'm just going to have to be happy with just practicing.

My search for a 1911 has been more difficult than I imagined with only a limited amount of cash to spend. Other wise I would have one. Oh well, I'll just keep shooting my Glock.

What kind of 1911 are you looking for? I know what it means to get the bug. I was always a Smith revolver shooter and Glock on occasion but the first time I shot a 1911, it was all over. You know that now you are going to have to buy an all new setup. I enjoy following along, thanks.

I am looking for anything that goes bang every single time I pull the trigger. I was thinking about buying a basic gun(para,springfield,kimber,colt) and slowly improving it with upgrades over time as I can afford them.

Shot my Kimber today. WOW. I can see why people get addicted to them. The trigger is light, crisp, and short. I was worried that my ammo would not run in it very well, but it eat everything I put in it. Even my Glock ammo worked well in it. It will be a nice change to keep me interested in shooting. I hope that it doesn't slow my improvement down in becoming a GM in production. We'll see.

Shot my Kimber today. WOW. I can see why people get addicted to them. The trigger is light, crisp, and short. I was worried that my ammo would not run in it very well, but it eat everything I put in it. Even my Glock ammo worked well in it. It will be a nice change to keep me interested in shooting. I hope that it doesn't slow my improvement down in becoming a GM in production. We'll see.

I was so excited about shooting my Kimber that I forgot to write about my practice time today. Well, I shot about 400 rounds. Drawing, shooting, and reloading was what I did the most. I also did practice shooting on the move today. Area 5 in two weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!