Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glocklover

glocklover

Shot today. About 500 rounds. Practiced drawing, reloading, and shooting on the move. Mostly shot my Glock. Shot my Kimber a little today. It feels like so different. I really like the gun but it almost seems like I'm starting over again? I had to think about what I was doing. The whole safty feels like it's slowing me down. Is it going to slow me down? I would like to be a GM in production. Maybe I shouldn't of bought the Kimber. I'll give it some time. It's a nice gun.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I scarificed some of my practice time to give a rifle presentation to a club. It was giving back to people that give up alot of free time. I hope I inspired and taught some kids and grown ups. My good deed of the month.

I love my new kimber. I have no regrets so far. It runs without a hicht. I think I will really enjoy it.

Area 5 nexted weekend. I'm excited and a little neverous.

Just got back from area 5. Had a great time. I got 32 place out of 69. I don't think that was to bad, since it was my first major match. Although, I wish shot better. I had higher expectations for myself. I was very nervious the first day. I think I lossened up the second day. When I was looking at my scores I noticed that they didn't have my USPSA number next to my name? How can that be? You can't shoot the match if your not a member. Oh well, it's not that big of a deal.

I need to work on swingers, clam shells, no shoots, shooting on the move, turners, and stage break down.

I will do better next year. I would like to finish in the top 10. Well, thats my goal anyway.

I will post some videos of the match if my kids ever get off the main computer.

P.S. next year I need an umbrella, garbage bags, a cart to put my stuff on, snacks, and a fancy shirt with some logos and my name on it.

I did meet Ben Stoeger. I was walking by him and I introduced myself, but I don't think he had any idea I was Glocklover here on Enos forum. It was cool to meet some shooters I only see in videos.

All in all, it was a great weekend.

Edited by glocklover

I need to work on swingers, clam shells, no shoots, shooting on the move, turners, and stage break down.1

That doesn't sound like too many things to work on. Next time we shoot you can put most of those in one stage for all of us to practice :devil: . It looks like you shot a pretty good match overall, good job...

Skip

I need to work on swingers, clam shells, no shoots, shooting on the move, turners, and stage break down.1

That doesn't sound like too many things to work on. Next time we shoot you can put most of those in one stage for all of us to practice :devil: . It looks like you shot a pretty good match overall, good job...

Skip

Thanks.

Edited by glocklover

Pretty, I like the grips. Did the front sight come that way or did you do some the same kind of fancy gunsmithing that I did on mine?

The guy that I bought it from had a custom black front sight put on. I don't know if I really like it. It's all black the front and the rear sight. I'm used to having a red front sight to focus on. So, I was messing around with it and I found some red paint and painted it. It's not the same as a fiber optic front sight, but it's not so bright that it overwhelms me. I might shoot it for awhile and see if I like it or not.

Funny, I did the exact same thing when I got mine. I admit, though, that I used my wife's nail polish. It worked real well but now, after shooting it about 3k times I am thinking about taking it off. I got a .22 conversion for it a week ago and it just has the black seratted blade and I picked it up real well and I think that I like it better now so I may take the "paint" off. Good Luck!

Pretty, I like the grips. Did the front sight come that way or did you do some the same kind of fancy gunsmithing that I did on mine?

The guy that I bought it from had a custom black front sight put on. I don't know if I really like it. It's all black the front and the rear sight. I'm used to having a red front sight to focus on. So, I was messing around with it and I found some red paint and painted it. It's not the same as a fiber optic front sight, but it's not so bright that it overwhelms me. I might shoot it for awhile and see if I like it or not.

I was thinking about buying a .22cal conversion. Do you like yours? Do you think that it helps your shooting?

Funny, I did the exact same thing when I got mine. I admit, though, that I used my wife's nail polish. It worked real well but now, after shooting it about 3k times I am thinking about taking it off. I got a .22 conversion for it a week ago and it just has the black seratted blade and I picked it up real well and I think that I like it better now so I may take the "paint" off. Good Luck!

I started by using a Browning Buckmark and then I got the Kimber conversion. I have only had two range sessions with the Kimber so I think that the jury is still out on the conversion but so far I like it.

I get a failure to feed on the last round on one of my mags. I haven't really tried to see if I can fix that or not.

Negatives are that it is slow to reload. It is kind of clumsy reloading the small ammunition in the Kimber mag. It is definitely slower to reload compared to the Buckmark/Ruger. I am going to look into some kind of speed loader to see if we can speed it up a bit.

I have been shooting Federal Bulk and it has functioned o.k. with a malf every 3 or 4 mags, which is still a pain, other than the last round in the mag I mentioned. You definitely have to have a solid grip or it won't function well. I don't know if this will go away once it is "married" to the frame or not?

It is very accurate, I think it is every bit as accurate as my Buckmark. The only thing is my Buckmark functions flawlessly and we will see if the conversion bugs will get worked out.

As far as using a .22 for practice I am fortunate as my range has a plinking range with all kinds of steel targets, swingers, prairie dogs, pepper popers (only smaller) and steel plates and (round and square) out to 50 yards and all ranges in between. It is a kids dream and I love to shoot it too.

I think that the .22 is great for practicing transitions as I can burn through a brick just practicing transitions. Since the conversion's sights are similar to the regular frame Kimber, I have been shooting the plates at 50 yards with the conversion. I am hoping that by going after the 50 yards plates and transitioning it will pay dividends at closer ranges with centerfire. I start from a low ready and practice picking up my sights and breaking the shot, it isn't easy at 50 yards.

I also think that the .22 has helped me to call shots, especially on steel. I know that I am much better on calling shots because of the .22.

It of course has been much easier on the budget, and I don't have to reload as much either (single stage press).

If I can get it to function 100% and figure out to reload the mags faster I would recommend it in a minute.

Thanks for the info.

I started by using a Browning Buckmark and then I got the Kimber conversion. I have only had two range sessions with the Kimber so I think that the jury is still out on the conversion but so far I like it.

I get a failure to feed on the last round on one of my mags. I haven't really tried to see if I can fix that or not.

Negatives are that it is slow to reload. It is kind of clumsy reloading the small ammunition in the Kimber mag. It is definitely slower to reload compared to the Buckmark/Ruger. I am going to look into some kind of speed loader to see if we can speed it up a bit.

I have been shooting Federal Bulk and it has functioned o.k. with a malf every 3 or 4 mags, which is still a pain, other than the last round in the mag I mentioned. You definitely have to have a solid grip or it won't function well. I don't know if this will go away once it is "married" to the frame or not?

It is very accurate, I think it is every bit as accurate as my Buckmark. The only thing is my Buckmark functions flawlessly and we will see if the conversion bugs will get worked out.

As far as using a .22 for practice I am fortunate as my range has a plinking range with all kinds of steel targets, swingers, prairie dogs, pepper popers (only smaller) and steel plates and (round and square) out to 50 yards and all ranges in between. It is a kids dream and I love to shoot it too.

I think that the .22 is great for practicing transitions as I can burn through a brick just practicing transitions. Since the conversion's sights are similar to the regular frame Kimber, I have been shooting the plates at 50 yards with the conversion. I am hoping that by going after the 50 yards plates and transitioning it will pay dividends at closer ranges with centerfire. I start from a low ready and practice picking up my sights and breaking the shot, it isn't easy at 50 yards.

I also think that the .22 has helped me to call shots, especially on steel. I know that I am much better on calling shots because of the .22.

It of course has been much easier on the budget, and I don't have to reload as much either (single stage press).

If I can get it to function 100% and figure out to reload the mags faster I would recommend it in a minute.

Shot a steel match today. Was tons of fun. About 300 rounds. Shot my Kimber once and my Glock twice. I had some good times when I pushed myself. Sometimes I don't know how much to push myself. Some times it works and sometimes I screw up. I'm still trying to get used to my Kimber. It's the safety thats messing with me. I shot a Glock so long that I think I'm faster with my Glock than with my Kimber. We'll see when the scores are posted.

Unless the Kimber safety thing gets better. I'm going to take my Glock to Big Dawgs match.I don't know?

Well, I got the results back from the steel match. I got second place in production. Some day, I'm going to beat Mike Carmoney. He didn't beat me by a whole lot. I think his average was 58's and mine were 62-63's. Not to far off.

Limited is a whole other storey. I shot my Glock better than my Kimber. I think I got fifth place in Limited. I'm just not used to it yet. If I would of used my Glock in Limited I think I would of got second or third place.

I think I'm going to take my Glock to big Dawgs.

Shot single stack with my Kimber at Osceola today. My heart wasn't really into it. Maybe I've been doing to much lately.

I think I did alright. Although, I don't think I did as well as Skip.

Well, I got the results back from todays match and of couse Skip beat me. I did beat him on the first stage so I was happy with that and I was not to far from his scores.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't do to bad at sunday's steel match. I took second place in production, and I did better than all of the limited guys except one, and did better than half of the open guys. Not to bad for a Glock. Now if I could only do that in a USPSA match.

WOW! That was much more difficult than I was expecting. I'm talking about the Big Dawg Steel match I shot today. I guess I'm used to shooting steel matches with much bigger targets. They were very small. That sucked! I know I didn't do very well. At least with the guys I was shooting with were very fast. My scores were horrible compared to there's.

It was very fun. It's something that I have never done before, and I plan on doing it again next year.

I was happy that I took my Glock, because of the high capasity mags. There were some stages I shot 12-13 rounds. On the other hand my kimber is more accurate than my Glock. Maybe I'll shoot the Kimber next year?

I did learn one very important thing that is that the steel plates are NOT calibrated for 125 power factor. You need atleast a 140 power factor to knock over the plates. Some of the plates (the tombstone) I shot three times before it fell down. The open guys with there major power factor were doing much better than minor.

I also found out I seem to shoot better right to left than left to right.

Well, I hope to do better next year.

O.k. I did better than I though at the Big Dawg Steel Match. I was 20th out of 70 in Limited division, and 50th out of 118 overall. Maybe, I'll shoot for top ten next year.

Edited by glocklover