Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

D*mn S_i Front Grip Screws

Bucky

Last night I was doing some mods on my two STI .40s and both these d*mn screws / collars / bushings (WTH you call them) stripped on me. I'm using good Snap On allen wrenches, but it doesn't seem to matter. Had to drill one out, but I finally got the other one out without the drill, but the part is ruined. Guess I'll have to order a pile of these and change them each time I take it apart. (Hmm, maybe that's the intention). Seems to me there has to be a better way to attach this in the front. Man.. I should have kept the Caspian .40 :angry: Much simpiler!

So, I'm trying to order just the front screws and bushings. SV doesn't even list it on their site. STI does list them and I can buy online. GREAT.... But wait... there's a catch. STI has a minimum $250 order. SIGH Hopefully I can call in the order.

Bucky,

The last time I messed with mine, I was replacing the trigger and Dave Dawson said, "...you might want to replace the grip screw bushings too". I had a hard time (not as bad as you though) with mine too and I was glad I listened to him. They came in a kit containing all the parts. It was definately worth the extra few dollars. ;)

Give Dave a try, he's always been good to me.

Regards,

Todd

The heads are torx the threads are standard 4-40. I usually use blue loctite on one side of the sleeve only (don't locktite both sides) and then take the same side off each time. If the screws are too long you will screw them together in the middle and then when you try to get them tighter they will tend to strip out the sleeve.

Expanding just a tad on what Bob says 'cause it's not so obvious... there are 3 parts to the front-attachment point-- two screws and one threaded sleeve both screws go into. Most of the time one screw is loctited or otherwise stuck to the sleeve so it appears to be one part, but it's really two. The Torx deal sounds like the way to go.

Yep Shred, that was the part I was missing. I called up Bob at Brazos and he filled me in. Was very helpful, and had the parts... and I didn't have to spend $250 bucks!

Thanks again, Bob!!

If you use one Torx and one Allen head screw...then Loctite the Allen head...you should remember...every time...which side to crank on and which side to hold. Works for me, actual milage may vary, not for the other use.

Alex

Bucky, next time you need factory STI parts give shoooter's connection a try. Chuck has bout every part STI makes instock. FWIW you should have a replacement on hand of every screw, pin, and small spring for your gun. Nothing worse that to have to wait for a 50 cent pin to come UPS ground, keeping you from shooting a match.

I had kept a spare on hand for a while, but I used it at one point and never replaced it. Being I shoot mostly production anymore, the STIs and SV collect a lot of dust. As for bringing spare parts to a match,,, I find it easier to bring a second gun. :ph34r:

Bucky,

No flame intended but you must be overtightening the 4-40 screws to strip them out so often. I have an STI and an SV gun (the STI for about 8 years) and have never stripped out one of the screws. I have almost lost them while disassembling the gun but not stripped them. Be careful with the small screws as all they have to do is keep the bushing from falling out. The only have to be tight enough so that they would fall out by themselves. I use "shoe goo" instead of loctite as it keeps them from loosening under vibration but allows you to remove them with very little torque. I do the same with the grip screws.

Good luck,

Leo