Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do Magazine Bumpers Come Directly From Factory?

GordonB

Just wondering. The Beretta EII comes from the factory with magazine bumpers. Since they come like that from the factory they are legal for Production.

Your supposed to be able to order extended mag releases for the G17 installed at the factory... hence it is a legal mods for IDPA and USPSA Production.

Is there a similar situation with extended basepads or +2's where it is an option to get them installed directly from the factory?

If you can order them directly from the factory with pads, wouldn't this mean that you can use extended basepads with the Glock? Ala Beretta EII?

Gordon,

To the best of my knowledge Glock does not make bumper pads for any of their magazines. While some guns may have once come from the factory with +2s installed on their mags, for the last nine + years new guns have shipped with ten-rounders. To the best of my knowledge skateboard tape is legal on mag bases....

I also have some of the Glock Factory +2 basepads that I got in 1988. My 17L came with two NFML 17 rounders and when I ordered 4 more at the time I purchased the 17L the dealer asked me if I wanted +2's and I said yes sir! I also asked if the +2 basepads were available to upgrade the (2) 17's that came with the 17L and he said he didn't see the basepads available anywhere in the catalog but on a complete +2 magazine. I just assumed the +2 mags were still available where allowed. I'm in CA, so I don't know squat about hi-cap availability nowadays ;-)

So my read here is if they come from Glock, and you don't put in more than ten, they are OK.

--

Regards,

Here's Amidon's ruling from the USPSA website:

There was a question posted on a discussion board (Glocktalk) where a shooter wished to know if they could use magazine extensions on mags to be used in the Production division. As with the Glock 27, where the "standard" mags hold 9, could a +1 or +2 or even a +4 magazine extension be used to add rounds up to 10? Or, would such an addition be considered a "weighted attachment".

Being that a +1 extension may be very similar in weight to the stock base plate, I could see how it could NOT be considered a "weighted attachment". However, the person posting the question on the discussion board was planning on using a +4 which would weigh considerably more than the stock base plate. Additionally, federal laws would put doing such a thing into a category one shouldn't go.

Extended magazines, attachments, and weights to base pads are not allowed, there is no restriction to magazine length, but all magazines must conform to the pistol manufacturers original equipment specifications,only magazines supplied as standard equipment with the firearm are acceptable, after market magazines may be substituted as long as they are the same overall length as the manufacturer's original.

With regards to the rule being more specific, I am certain that we can improve on it in the next edition of the rulebook, but in the meantime, one must remember, Production division was developed to maintain the integrity of the weapon and its related equipment when it comes to competition, that is why the more restricted rules to modifications.

DVC,

John Amidon

May 11, 2001

Wouldn't that make it a post-ban hi-cap mag?

Not necessarily. The EII comes with a 10 rounder with magazine bumpers. The bumper for the EII has no + capability. It's just a solid piece of rubber/plastic.

I'm just wondering if Glock put out (from the factory) something similar in nature.

Kyle,

Since +2 basepads haven't been available as standard equipment on new mags from the factory since September 1994, I assume this is one of those situations that simply slipped through the cracks. I would advise anyone wanting to use these in a major match to check with John Amidon second. (First, I'd strongly recommend against the +2 pads since they have an annoying tendency to come off the mag body during speed reloads...)

Nik,

Glock released a new version of their +2 basepads about a year ago and, unlike the first design, the new ones lock-on securely and have a pinky rest. The only sneaky bit is that officially Glock will not sell the new basepads alone - you're supposed to buy new magazines with the new +2 basepads already attached.

I don't know the situation in the USA though, but obviously I suspect new mags are not sold with the new +2 basepads if the capacity exceeds 10 rounds.

Vince,

Maybe we can buy mags and pads after September... For the purposes of this thread, though, I'm pretty sure we're talking about the old style +2s arriving on standard capacity mags and whether those mags can be used, downloaded to ten rounds in Production Division in USPSA matches --- something that I suspect Amidon will have to rule on.

Living in a 15 round state, I'd appreciate the ability to purchase some standard capacity G21 mags with reliable +2s installed....

As to how reliable they are

My four factory 9mm +2's ran 100%. I could actually stuff 20 in all of them and they still ran 100% but were not an easy seat under a forward slide.

I spent two years dropping them on all types of surface and never lost a basepad. Mine were original NFML Glock ones manufactured sometime in 1988. 100% reliable, 100% of the time.

BTW, I just had a full (28 rounds) Taylor Freelance +11 lose it's basepad and guts during a fumbled re-load in a match this weekend. After I got the mess it made cleaned up I found that all of the ridge above the slot that slides onto the mag body had cracked off. It was just over 10 degrees out and I had inspected the mags the evening before for any cracks or chips in this area (this is their weak point), so I am wondering if the cold weather made the material used in the basepad a little brittle. It hit hard packed snow after a 3 foot drop and disintegrated on impact. Hmmmm?

--

Regards,