Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Choate " Ultimate " Stock

TBF

I bought a Choate Ultimate Sniper stock and installed a Savage 110 24 inch 308 bull barrel action. It was a nice, inexpensive setup for a sniper style rifle. It was certainly a nice stock for the money with several nice features.

However, I found that stock and rifle combo to be too heavy for my taste so I sold it and purchased a Remington 700 LE Sniper with the 20 in fluted barrel.

I think you can get the Choate already installed on a Savage nowadays . . . I've handled them in shops, but unfortunately not yet fired one. I like the adjustable length of pull and comb, which may or may not be important to you. They are heavy, though, so I'd say they were better suited to shooting where you don't have to hump yourself and your gear a long way over rugged terrain very often. For actual shooting, though, the weight is probably a benefit.

I have the varment stock on a Savage 112 BVSS 220 Swift and i like it like Ranger said it is heavy but thats one of the things i like about it i can see my hits through the scope. they arent very pretty to look at but it works, with the bedding block it is stiff as hell. The Rifle shots .4 -5 shot groups with the stock. :P

Steve

If your going to buy the savage spend the extra couple bills and get the MCM stock. I've heard the Choate is ok but nothing great. I've seen them listed on the Sniper sites for 75 bucks. Lots of PSS take offs going for 100-150 bucks.

The McMillan stocks I have seen run over $400, thats not an option right now, $$$ is pretty tight.

Who has the best price on the McM stocks ?

A5 is real close to the stock I envision putting on this action ( Savage Mod. 10 300 WSM ). I am not even sure they make one for this action.

And yes the adjustability of LOP and comb is very desirable.

The only thing I don't like about this rifle is the stock, shoots real well.

Thanks for the replies.

And where are these sniper sites that have this stock cheap ?

Used would be fine with me.

Travis F.

Travis,

I thought you were going to buy the gun sorry. The MCM is an option now on the Savage and is a couple bills more than that ugly assed Choate. MCM makes the A5 for the Savage. Try George Gardner at G. A. Precision he usually has a bunch in stock. I'll let you know on the A5 as my new toy has one and should be here this week. Check the classifieds on Snipershide.com Sniper country or Snipers Paradise. Ebay also worth a look. There are a few guys on Snipers Hide that have done a lot of playing with the Savages.

Chris,

Thanks for the info.

I'll have to check those sites.

I kind of like the look of the Choate, just because it would send shivers up the spine of a gun hating liberal . Sorta sinister , but , form follows function and as long as it's not covered in pink mohair ...

Travis F.