Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Saiga Conversion

PerfectDouble

I am not even close to a top guy but I do have a R&R open saiga, check the vendor tent. I always had concerns about reliability but I have had zero malfunctions in about 900 rounds in this gun. I like the way Robert has setup the saiga now. The AR type safety, the left side charge handle and his new magwell with release make it just like my Ar.

Hard to say, I think most of the top 3 gunners have yet to switch to Saigas, except Butler, who finished 4th in Open at the USPSA MG Nationals with a DI gun. Saigas will be more competitive in Outlaw matches because of magazine capacity, which is limited in USPSA.

I'm pretty sure this is what the top Saiga shooters were using at some big matches in 2009. Correct me if I'm wrong.

DPMS Tri-gun Challenge - R&R Targets Saiga (3)

Superstition Mystery Mountain - R&R Targets Saiga (2)

Blue Ridge Mountain - R&R Targets Saiga (2)

Johnson 3-Gun - R&R Targets Saiga (2); Firebird (2,I think but the R&Rs placed higher)

JP Rocky Mountain 3-Gun - R&R Targets Saiga (3); Firebird (3, not 100% sure on # but R&Rs placed higher)

MGM Ironman - R&R Targets Saiga (2); Dreadnaught (2); JT Engineering (1) finishing R&R,R&R,DI,JT,DI

FN Midwest 3-Gun Championship R&R Targets Saiga (2); Dreadnaught (2) finishing R&R then DI,R&R,DI

(EDIT-RW told me he thinks Butler shot a JT Engineering Saiga at this match, changes finish to JT then R&R,DI,R&R,DI)

So in the end you need to find some of these guns and try them out before you spend your hard earned cash because they all are a little different. If you ever see anybody at a match with an R&R shirt on they would be glad to talk to you about Saigas and let you shoot them. R&R Saigas will be at almost every big match 3 gun match in the US and at the Pan Am shoot this year, PM me with your location and we can try to connect.

Doug

Edited by Doug H.

Wow. Thanks for all the quick (and detailed) answers.

R&R was on my short list. It's nice to get some confirmation for them. I like the fact that they are setup to match the operation of an AR as much as possible -- less motor skills that need to be perfected.

I didn't even know that Firebird did Saiga conversions. I'm still waiting on their website to get up and running. :) In the meantime, could anyone point me to a link that has a description of the Firebird modifications (with pictures hopefully)?

Thanks for your help.

Wow. Thanks for all the quick (and detailed) answers.

R&R was on my short list. It's nice to get some confirmation for them. I like the fact that they are setup to match the operation of an AR as much as possible -- less motor skills that need to be perfected.

I didn't even know that Firebird did Saiga conversions. I'm still waiting on their website to get up and running. :) In the meantime, could anyone point me to a link that has a description of the Firebird modifications (with pictures hopefully)?

Thanks for your help.

Call Jim

505 847-0108

Jim Lambert, Firebird Precision Firearms. :closedeyes:

(not to even imply that i'm a top 3 gunner!)

I just read another post on Firebird Saigas, and Jim said that you ordered one "with all the mods that exist.. and a few more". So have you gotten it yet? Can you post some pics and list the mods? Thanks.

Hello: Give Jim a Call at Firebird. He can clear up all your questions. I have one of his Saiga's that he worked on for me. I told him I want to do it in stages as I can afford it and make sure I like 3-gun. There are 3 guys I would look at for Saigas, they are Alex Wakal, Jack Travers and Jim Lambert :cheers: Thanks, Eric

Jim Lambert, Firebird Precision Firearms. :closedeyes:

(not to even imply that i'm a top 3 gunner!)

I just read another post on Firebird Saigas, and Jim said that you ordered one "with all the mods that exist.. and a few more". So have you gotten it yet? Can you post some pics and list the mods? Thanks.

Yeah, mines got some straight out of Star Wars upgrades on it... :devil: Its currently in Jims hands getting a final mod, but I can promise you that next time I see it I will post pics. I'm an evil SOB and I like to make y'all jealous!

Quick question about Jim, and R+R, do you buy your gun and send it out, or do they do the work on one and you buy the entire thing from them? I know you could do either, but is there a cost advantage to doing one over the other?

You can do it either way. I don't know that you would save much money by buying the gun and shipping it buts it depends on how cheap you can get a Saiga.

Doug