Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pre Deployment Magazine Prep

Les Snyder

I'm passing this on from a friend.... for any of you/your lovedones about to be deployed to the more arid parts of the world where you will be carrying a double stacked 9mm.... get your unit to purchase about a 1/2 pound of tungsten disulfide, or molybdenem disulfide... it's pricey but a little goes a long way... some baggies, and a milk carton of BB's.... thouroughly degrease the magazine, spring and follower.... place about a teaspoon full of the disulfide, a handful of BB's the disassembled mag tube, spring, follower, in the baggie and "shake and bake" until the parts are nicely coated.... do the same for the ammo... carefully assemble the mag, and load with ammo, taking care not to wipe off the coating...place in a sealed baggie until you arrive "in country"... it helps make the double stackers work... regards Les

The silicone impregnated cloths I use seem to leave a light, semiliquid coating on whatever metal I am treating with them. It does attract a little dust and grit, though I don't shoot under really dusty conditions, and haven't had any malfs. "Course, I am not depending on my equipment to save my bacon, either.

I would imagine that a dry moly lube wouldn't allow any grit or dust to adhere.

I can see how this Moly treatment could be an OK thing if you are just looking for the couple of treated mags loaded with treated ammo to function "one time through" in pretty much any condition you might find yourself in. This treatment isn't gonna pick up dust, it is dust, just real, real slippery dust. You definitely don't want to handle the mags much after they are treated. Dry Moly is not as bad as Moly in a grease carrier medium, but it still is messy and you don't want to take it off as Les says.

A silicone cloth, or even a shot of spray silicone on the mag follower and the ammo will probably enhance functioning if you need that enhancement. if you do that though, make sure the mags stay in baggies or well enclosed if the environment is very dusty because the coating will attract dust if it is blowing. I tried treating my mags and ammo with silicone for a while but decided bone dry had a lot less dust gathering tendency and was therefore best for my pistol & AR mags (less work and hassle).

I haven't seen any change in functional relaibility myself using silicone, or not using silicone. My feeling is that if you have a reliable weapon system in the first place, why introduce another variable, it oughta run fine with mags and ammo dry in the first place. I do use powdered graphite in my shotgun speedloader tubes though because there I actually notice a difference in ease of stroking the loading plunger.

--

Regards,

Guest Larry Cazes

I shoot a Para P14 (.45acp) and the mag function/reliability is enhanced siginificantly by a quick rub inside and out with a rag damp with break free. Dry Moly is a little too dirty to handle for me. I'll bet, though, that in a dusty environment anything but a DRY lube would be a serious issue.

Larry