Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G20/21 Mag Catch On A G17

G17raider

Raider,

Unless the factory has been keeping secrets from me (and I really hate it when that happens), Glock don't make an extended mag catch for the G20/G21.

However there are three factory extended mag catches for the G17 and smaller size receivers, and these are rectangular long (part #1981), rectangular short (part #2025)and oval (part #3294). They also cost peanuts, so you might as well order one from Smyrna or your friendly gun dealer.

If you're using an aftermarket extended mag catch on your G20/G21, I doubt it will fit in a G17 size hole without some cutting of the receiver.

The G20/21 (large frame) mag release will work as an extended mag release in the G17/22 (small frame) guns. It is the same part that comes standard as the "extended" mag release in the G34/35.

It is also USPSA Production legal (being a factory part).

Flex,

Are you sure? The standard mag catch on the G34/G35 is part #1981, and that same part number is offered as an extended mag catch on the G17 and smaller receivers.

Moreover, Glock say the extended mag catches are "Not available for 45 models", so they're not an approved factory part for the G20/G21. I'm not saying they won't fit, mind you, but I'm giving you the official party line.

You can see a full factory parts list here (select different calibres at the top).

Vince and G17Raider,

Yes you can physically install a G20/21 mag releases in a G-17/19/22/23/26/27/31/32/33. Glockmeister lists only two U.S. Part numbers for mag releases, part # 287 for the G-17/19/22/23/26/27/31/32/33 and part # 1981 for the G-17L/20/21/24/29/30/34/35. Since the extended release is available as a factory option on all guns, it's USPSA Production Division legal.

Vince,

What's the IPSC legality of the extended release if it's available from the factory in my country of residence as an option? Does it change if I'm a German Citizen (waiting for my American Citizenship) residing permanently in the U.S.? :D:D

Vince,

I'm thinking you're not understanding the question. No one's saying Glock makes an extended mag catch for the G20/21. The question is, can you put a G20/21 mag catch in a G17/19/22/23/etc. And the answer is yes, people have been doing it for years. AAMOF the "extended" factory mag catch in the G17L/24/34/35 is simply a G20/21 part installed in the smaller frame guns. Aside from the length of the "button," all other dimensions on the part are identical to the shorty mag catch.

Nik,

If the part is available from the OFM as an option for your model gun then, yes, under IPSC Production Division rules, it's legal. Of course the whole point of my argument in this thread is that I doubt the G21 magazine catch is offered by Glock (even downtown Smyrna) for the G17, so using one would get you a severe spanking if you were discovered while registered in IPSC PD.

The fact that it may fit is neither hear nor there - the test question is "Does the OFM offer Part 123 for my Model ABC gun?", and the same applies even if you're an Uzbekistani national, waiting for your American papers, while drinking Australian beer in a Spanish restaurant in Chinatown, New Mexico :blink:

Duane,

Yes, I'm easily confused, so I've just ordered my staff to get out the calipers, the toenail clippers and the little machine that goes "PING", to check our stock of all Glock magazine catches, to see what's different. This is exciting stuff, and I hope you guys can handle the suspense. I intend to use the results of my findings in my new, soon to be best-selling book "The Truth About Glock Magazine Catches - They Can Break A Nail". ;)

(Note to self: Never, ever, ever wander out of the IPSC rules forum again without adult supervision)

POSTSCRIPT:

OK, my trusty staff just informed me that Part #1981 (G17 "extended" mag catch) and Part #1035 (G21 "standard" mag catch) are identical. :angry:

I have no idea why the factory would use two different part numbers for exactly the same item, and I plan to give them an Uber-Spanking with a large piece of raw schnitzel at the SHOT Show in February, provided I can drag myself away from the Las Vegas Petting Zoo (I think it's called "Cheetahs").

Anyway, my hair hurts and I'm gonna crawl back to the relative safety of the IPSC rules forum now ........

Vince,

When Glock designed the 34/35 they didn't design a mag catch for them --- they just raided the G20/21 pile. Apparently this extended control thing took off here in the U.S. and Glock started offering the extended (really a G20/21) mag release and slide release from the G34/5 on their other small frame 9s and .40s. USPSA then ruled it legal...

Nik,

Sure, I understand, but why the different part numbers for the same damn thing? This is one of my peeves with Glock and it goes back to the delay with the launch of the new "locking" +2 base plates.

They announced the new +2 base plates in Month 1, they were ready for shipping in Month 3, but we couldn't get stock until Month 10. Why? FACT: They couldn't ship until they had allocated a part number to the item (and this is directly from the horse's mouth, deep inside the factory in Austria - it's not an urban legend).

Same goes for the internal gun lock - it's a brilliant idea which was announced 2 years ago but we still can't get the bloody things. Very frustrating. And don't get me started on the infamous Glock "carbine" :angry:

OK, I'll take my medication now .......