Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45ACP with SP Primers

Bolted_Down

OK...

I've heard of it, but this range rat has never come across a single 45ACP case with a small pistol primer.

:)

...but I recently received a boat load of them from a friend off an indoor range in So. Florida.

SP primer pocket, but a large flash hole.

The brass is actually built pretty well, with decent weight and nice case wall thickness.

I wanna give em a try...as I can't see letting pristine 1x fired brass go to the scrap bin.

They are marked:

ICC

45ACP

I looked it up...

ICC

International Cartridge Corp.

Reynoldsville, PA

International .45 Auto Frangible HP

Question 1 & 2:(I'm sure there will be follow ups from this end)

:)

Any special considerations to take into account when loading 45ACP with SP primers??

My normal range load lately has been the following, will this load work with a SP primer??

5.8gr HP38

RMR Bullets 230gr CPRN

Win LP primer *(CCI SP primer)*

oal 1.250"

using a 5" Springfield Loaded 1911

Clean and accurate with no pressure warning signs on any of the mixed headstamp brass I've used.

Thanks in advance for any input...

Edited by Bolted_Down

• 3 weeks later...

The small primmer 45 brass comes from some sort of non-toxic ammunition line - ie Speer Lawman Clean Fire, Winchester WinClean and SuperClean NT, etc. Initially, and still AFAIK, non-toxic primers were only available in small pistol, so the brass was made to match. There should not be any additional cautions to loading them. I would, however, chrono any match loads intended for a specific PF.

The small primmer 45 brass comes from some sort of non-toxic ammunition line - ie Speer Lawman Clean Fire, Winchester WinClean and SuperClean NT, etc. Initially, and still AFAIK, non-toxic primers were only available in small pistol, so the brass was made to match. There should not be any additional cautions to loading them. I would, however, chrono any match loads intended for a specific PF.

We have been using these Speer 45's for awhile now at our police department. I was going to explain, but the above tells the story. :cheers:

The evolution of the small primer 45 Auto cases came about because of the problems with breech face damage in some guns when using the large lead free primers.

The first attempt to lower the back thrust that was damaging guns was the enlarged flash hole.

To my knowledge, Federal was the first to go to small primers, combined with crimping the NT primers - all to prevent the back thrust. Others than followed suit, though I think Federal is the only one crimping.

Guy

I wouldn't think there would be an issue with using them. As far as burning all of the powder with a small pistol primer, I wouldn't see a problem with that either. My 40 load with Power Pistol has more powder than my 45 load with Power Pistol. But, if you are concerned, use Magnum primers. I wouldn't use small rifle though, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't seal properly in a 45 (lower pressure and all) and you would get some breech face erosion from the gasses blowing past the primer.

• 2 years later...

If any of you are S&W 625 revolver shooters and use them in competition, there is a large advantage to the small primer 45 brass. I have collected a lot of small primer brass over the past two years and just kept it with the intention of using it at some point. I shoot both at 686 and a 625 in competition. After doing a complete trigger job on both guns, with Jerry Mikulek's help, I was able to have a smooth 6 pound trigger pull on both revolvers. The 686 ignited the primers consistently and reliably every time but the 625 required an 8 pound pull to be consistent and reliable. It dawned on me that the small primer might just be the difference so I loaded up a bunch of 45 with the small primer and set the trigger pull to 6 pounds. It works great so I am now looking to collect more small primer 45 brass for revolver shooting.

Paul

I am using mostly small primers in 45acp now and I see no problem at all using them, same load data is used. I have now starting to prefer them as no change over is necessary when changing calibers. I still have thousands of large cases, but I don't have to reorder anything but small primers now.