Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

C-More Lens getting Dirtier w/ New Comp

Big Guy

Here is a question for the experts.

I just replaced the barrel and comp (Millennium Comp) in my gun and have been noticing that the C-more lens gets a lot dirtier than before. The C-more mount has a blast shield which worked great with the last comp (Dawson). Usually it wasn’t necessary to clean the lens at all during a match. Now I have to clean the lens every other stage. Bullet weight (124 g.) and powder and charge remain the same (8.3 g of N350).

What is the reason for this?

I just replaced the barrel and comp (Millennium Comp) in my gun and have been noticing that the C-more lens gets a lot dirtier than before. The C-more mount has a blast shield which worked great with the last comp (Dawson). Usually it wasn't necessary to clean the lens at all during a match. Now I have to clean the lens every other stage. Bullet weight (124 g.) and powder and charge remain the same (8.3 g of N350).

Obviously the comp is directing gasses in a different way than you old one was.... Shouldn't be any big deal, with the new lower mounts this is more of an issue with oil and lube than blast, but the result is the same. I carry a little piece of t-shirt in my back pocket and wipe as part of my prep for every stage.

I know exactly what you mean!

With my Bedell "Shorty" with poppleholes in the barrel, I've always had that problem, even after I changed to a mount with a blast shield. I used to go 3-4 stages without cleaning the scope on my 5", 9mm, open gun, that had a blast shield on it, until I put the scope on a Barry mount. Now, I'm cleaning that scope after every stage too!

The holes between chambers widen with every hot gas "slam", on every shot. I have had a Ti comp go from .365 to almost something like .430 at the end of its life. Its normal that a new, different or better comp directs gas more or "better".

Edited by BSeevers

how does the gun shoot with the new comp ?

The gun hits a little harder than before, but the dot tracks better/faster.

I am still playing with the loads and springs, but will see how it goes at this weekend match. The Millennium comp is deeper, so I guess it needs more gas. Loads at around 173-1744 pf track lot better that those at 170-171 pf.

• 3 weeks later...

I just replaced the barrel and comp (Millennium Comp) in my gun and have been noticing that the C-more lens gets a lot dirtier than before. The C-more mount has a blast shield which worked great with the last comp (Dawson). Usually it wasn't necessary to clean the lens at all during a match. Now I have to clean the lens every other stage. Bullet weight (124 g.) and powder and charge remain the same (8.3 g of N350).

Obviously the comp is directing gasses in a different way than you old one was.... Shouldn't be any big deal, with the new lower mounts this is more of an issue with oil and lube than blast, but the result is the same. I carry a little piece of t-shirt in my back pocket and wipe as part of my prep for every stage.

Be careful using that t-shirt. I used to do that until I found out to late that the residue left on the lens can scratch it if you use a tshirt to wipe it off. Now I just use a small spray bottle of windex and Qtips to clean it off. Then I just use the tshirt after to dry it. I had to send it back to get a new lens for a fix.

Flyin

I have the same thing going on with one of my guns. I can tell you its not the powder. Throw some AutoComp in there and it will be dirty by the 3rd shot. My comp is a Brazos, similiar to the Millenium, I love the thing its great, with AA#7 at 170pf soft and flat and fun to shoot.

I'm thinking of putting some rainX on the lens to see if that will help. I carry a special lens cloth and clean it every few stages.