Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ SP-01 Shadow question

DWFAN

Yeah, you have to use the 10-rounders throughout. page 19 of the rulebook.

The rule you are referring to just means that you can't use different round counts in different magazines. You can use higher capacity magazines but you can only load as many as your lowest capacity magazine.

To answer the originalo question.......If you need to use 10 round mags to make weight then you need to use them the entire match. Switching after you have made weight means that you are now overweight.

I'm aware you can use high caps loaded to division max.

SSP page 19-20

"Competitors must use the same capacity magazines throughout the competition. (Example: if you start with a 9 round magazine, you must use that capacity magazine throughout the match.)"

Edited by clown

If you're using the 10 round mag to make weight, you can't simply supply it at weigh-in and then switch to larger ones that don't make weight. That would be cheating.

If all your mags make weight, you can mix capacities, just not the amount of ammo you put in them, which is a non issue in high-cap SSP guns. They all get loaded to 10.

This rule is really about 1911 .45s switching between 7 and 8 rounders (or 9mm 1911s between 9 and 10 rounders) to tailor capacity to specific stages so they run dry at a better time.

I think that DWFAN was asking why you need to use 10 rounders to make weight with a Shadow. I've been told that they 10 rounders are lighter than the stock steel mags because the lower 1/3 is plastic. I am interested in more advice on this subject though. I have a Shadow and want to shoot it in IDPA but haven't weighed it. I have only heard that it's too heavy and needs to slim down. Anyone know how to lighten the gun but stay compliant with the rules. I need to review the rule book, but I know that you can't shave any weight from the slide. What are people doing to shoot Shadows in IDPA? I've heard of lighter grips. Is it legal to shave a couple of ounces from the dust cover area of the frame? Is that a bad idea? I love the heft of the gun but a couple of OZ doesn't seem like it would change that materially.

I understood the rule as it would apply to loading below 10 rounds to gain an advantage of a earlier slide lock reload. I have 1 10rd mag and didnt want to buy more, but it looks like I'll need to if I want to shoot IDPA with it. No big deal, I figured I knew the answer before I asked, but wanted to double check. Thanks guys.

Do 10 round mags really weigh less than full cap mags? If so, any idea why?

There is more metal in the 18/19 round magazines as opposed to the 10 round magazines which are metal 2/3 and plastic with a hollowed out section of it's base. The 10 round magazine also has a shorter therefore lighter spring.

I would agree that if you weigh in with a 10 round magazine, to be a good sporstman, you should have enough (3) that make weight with the gun to compete in the match.

Making weight with an SP-01 is possible with lighter grips, replacing the factory recoil spring and using the 10 round magazines. Some may need to swap out the heavier thumb safeties with the smaller/lighter safeties from the standard SP-01. I haven't made that last mod to my Shadow and opt to shoot an older standard SP-01 that makes weight with some of my 18/19 round magazines and is under 38 oz. with my 10 round magazines.

I did check the CZ posting and that lead me to this:

http://www.marschalgrips.com/?content=CZ_SP01-models

It seems the way to make weight is to use light grips and 10 round mags with the plastic base. Unfortunately, the only way to know before I throw a hundred bucks at it is to do some calculations on the current weight, the current weight of the grips and the mags and to see if I can find any specs for the 10 round mags to compare to. I don't think this is going to happen this weekend, but if I get it done, I'll repost. If anyone has done this, let us know what it gets the weight down to.