Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LaserLyte Rear Sight

chirpy

The battery life is next to nothing. You have to manually turn on the sight before you can use it. My assessment: fluff and gadgetry, not anything that has any real usefulness at all.

fluff and gadgetry? Duane, did you just plagiarize me? lol! just kidding.

Back to the topic; I understand that companies are out to make a buck, but in my eye, products like this one just knock down the reputation of a company that sells firearm accessories. Its hard not to be emotional about it.

OK, if LaserLyte is out, any suggestions? Doesn't have to be a laser...just better sights for the G26/27.

TIA

Richard

I really like the Sevigny Tactical or Carry (whatever they're called) night sights.....

I've liked Heinie's Streight-Eight night sights as well....

Both are really good daytime black on black iron sights, as well as being very usable night sights....

• 4 weeks later...

I got a Generation 4 model 17 and had the gunshop install the Laserlyte rear sight. It is really cool. The lazer shows up bright indoors, but fades outdoors in bright light. You can still use a flashlight on the rail if you want. You can still use a bayonet on the rail if you want. (OK, OK, I am joking about using the bayonet, although I did buy one for the novelty factor.) If the laser is not bright enough, or the battery is dead, or whatever, you still have the open sights. The Laserlyte does not cause problems with my holsters. I do not carry daily, and have not had the Laserlyte for very long, so I don't know if it will snag on clothes and such, or how well it will hold up over time, or how long the batteries will last.

The main problem with them is they need to be turned on manually. The only ones I a have seen that are a help are the crimson trace. They mount on the rear of the gun and when you grip your gun they come on(can be blocked with the trigger finger if need be). If you need to use your gun, the odds are your not going to have time to fool with turning your laser on. The laser can be nice especially if you are shooting in an akward position or in a situation where you want to stare at the target and not your front sight. Just remember to practice without them in case they do fail