Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One shot per target at major matches

TravisT

Travis,

One round per target at the Nationals would mean doublng the number of paper targets and/or having an 18 wheeler full of poppers & plates, if there was to be the same round count.

Difficult not impossible.

However, after the old timers ask "Who in tarnation had this screwball idea" and everyone points at you while running for cover, the question you'll be hearing for the rest of the match is "Who's your daddy, boy?" .......

....... to the sound of "Duelling Banjos", being played in the background to drown out your screams!

:)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote: from j1b on 9:47 pm on Jan. 9, 2003

Pat

Are you sure it was '95? I don't recall where I placed at that match - but I knew it was important and I don't remember doing as well as I did at the '94 US nat's. I was thinking '92 or '93 seemed more in-line on the timeline. I've only shot north of the border once - however I would say it was one of the best matches I ever shot! I do recall an 18 or 20 shot - one hole per target stage. It was awesome - partly due to the fact that I think I won it - or placed high.

JB

Almost positive, in '92 the top guys that showed were Robbie(prototype Caspian frame on SA gun), Jerry B.(prototype McCormick frame), Doug K.(Prototype Caspian frame), Matt McClearn(prototype Caspian frame) (still shooting a tube...I have the pics ), Bruce Piatt, Jack Wiegand, Frank Garcia, and it was in Ontario...I'm sure you'd remember that

If it was in BC then it was '95

(Edited by Pat Harrison at 6:13 pm on Jan. 10, 2003)

The powers that be could very well set a policy that without the evidence of an oblong hole, or a second black mark, a hole will be considered to have been made by a single hit.

Is someone going to get a bad call by this policy? It is statistically possible, but not as likely as the number of shooters who are getting undeserved perfect doubles with the policy being used now.

The policy being used now is harmful to the game, because calls are being made without and physical evidence to support them. I think the ROs could use some support and direction from IROA and NROI on this issue.

noname, oblong holes are the main problem. If a target can be engaged at an angle other than straight-on-perpendicular, which is what happens with many freestyle courses, it can end up with oblong holes.

So... first thing we do is make good stages that don't let you blast the target from near sideways. (It always comes back to course design!)

Next thing we could do is make a rule for targets scoring two hits that a bullet diameter that overlaps or intersects with another shall not be scored. All it really does is flip the argument around, "Put two overlays on, they aren't touching!" But when you give the shooter the benefit of the doubt, it's not such an unearned charity as giving them the hit for one hole the way we do things now.

Maybe we don't need any change other than to consider the close ones "score can't be determined" and require a reshoot. It's still a gift, but it's less of a gift than taking away a Miss.

Travis, you REALLY should try to make it to a Canadian Nationals sometime. Ive been to several, last one was last year in Halifax N.S. I've also had the honor of shooting a Provincial Championship or two in Ontario and British Columbia ( my "roomie" when I head north is my buddy Murray Gardner). I can't make it to Alberta this summer ( college gets in the way),you should go in my place. Usually I'm the lone American. They let me play if I promise to be good.

Pat: We room together ( except when we bring our significant others with us) when I come up North. He and Kerry Lathwell have been coaching me since the late 80's, Murray took me to my first Bianchi Cup in '91. He's good people, all the people I've met thru IPSC Canada have been good people. I honored to shoot their matches.

Chuck,

Don't let those crusty Canucks give you grief for being from south of the border.

In order to give you the recognition you deserve for being such "a good bloke", I hereby annoint you as an Honorary Australian.

Now where's my sword ............... OK, got it.

Kneel, Chuck. (tap, tap). Arise, Sir Bruce II of Noo Yark.

There will be a formal presentation of your investiture soon, at which time you can meet Sir Bruce I of JD (the dude formerly known as Lynn Jones of TN).

And since you're now a member of the Commonwealth, the Canucks have to give you free Labatts.

TravisT:

I am suprized that no one has pointed out that that is how we score steel.... the best one hit, because the best one hit knockes it down!!! We have done many steel only matches ( we have alot of steel!) It has to fall to score! Instead of round intensive make it distance intensive with lots of movement and jacked positions. There is your perfect one shot match.               KURT