Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock spring

anoshoot

I am in need of a slide lock spring for my G-17 and can't seem to find one in any parts catolog. Any body know where one can be had? Thanks.......

If you're looking for slide-lock (the thing you need to depress to be able to get the top end off the frame)springs, try here....

If you need a slide stop lever see Pharaoh Bender's link above....

According to Glock's factory terminology, the slide lock spring is not the spring that's part of the slide stop lever, it's the little piece of spring steel that slots down into the frame and presses up on the slide lock (the vaguely rectangular piece of metal the sides of which you pull down on during the field stripping procedure)

post-604-126602358009_thumb.jpg

According to Glock's factory terminology, the slide lock spring is not the spring that's part of the slide stop lever, it's the little piece of spring steel that slots down into the frame and presses up on the slide lock (the vaguely rectangular piece of metal the sides of which you pull down on during the field stripping procedure)

I guess I had the wrong name for it. The slide release lever spring, the little hair spring on the slide release lever is what I am looking for.

Thanks for your help.

ETA: You are better off buying a new slide lock lever complete with fitted spring. And you are better off purchasing a NOT EXTENDED slide lock lever.

Trust me...

What is wrong with the extended slide release? Other than me screwing mine up.....spring that is...

Right handed shooters accidentally push it up with a good thumbs forward grip. I am a southpaw and love the extended part for my purposes, but can understand where it might cause a problem for a righty. I can't use the extended mag release but the right handers tend to like it.

The Glock extended slide release causes two problems. If you shoot with a straight thumbs grip - and most of us do - the shooting hand thumb can ride the extended slide release, resulting in failures of the action to lock open with empty. Also, the heel of the support hand, pressing up on the extended slide stop, can cause the action to lock open with rounds still in the magazine. It's just a total loser. Even most people running a gun like a Glock 34 or 35 that comes with this part as factory standard usually switch it out for the low profile part off a Glock 17/22.

I think I need to put this on a macro. :lol:

Duane, I'm apparently one of the rare few that totally disagreees-I strongly prefer the Glock Extended Slide Stop/Release, and have literally never had an accidental engagement of it. While I initially shot thumb-over-thumb, which totally precludes the issues you had, I currently shoot my Glocks with a modified thumbs-foward position-with my strong hand thumb indexing in the thumb indentation on the receiver frame, and the weak hand thumb pointing foward. For me (and perhaps just for me) this seems to empirically work quite nicely-it provides an excellent intrinsic index to the gun for me, and does not interfear with the extended slide stop/release-which I prefer; it's quicker to get from slidelock to battery, and having it gives ME the option as to which slidelock-to-battery technique to utilize.

While I know that using the OEM flat stop/release is your personal preference, I think that stipulating that "most" do so and that the extended part is a "loser" is a bit of a hyperbolic leap. In my opinion, it depends on individual index, hand, and grip.

Best, Jon

Duane, I'm apparently one of the rare few that totally disagreees-I strongly prefer the Glock Extended Slide Stop/Release, and have literally never had an accidental engagement of it. While I initially shot thumb-over-thumb, which totally precludes the issues you had, I currently shoot my Glocks with a modified thumbs-foward position-with my strong hand thumb indexing in the thumb indentation on the receiver frame, and the weak hand thumb pointing foward. For me (and perhaps just for me) this seems to empirically work quite nicely-it provides an excellent intrinsic index to the gun for me, and does not interfear with the extended slide stop/release-which I prefer; it's quicker to get from slidelock to battery, and having it gives ME the option as to which slidelock-to-battery technique to utilize.

While I know that using the OEM flat stop/release is your personal preference, I think that stipulating that "most" do so and that the extended part is a "loser" is a bit of a hyperbolic leap. In my opinion, it depends on individual index, hand, and grip.

Best, Jon

Theres always an exception to the rule and you seem to be one of them....but for the most part I agree with Duane and Pharaoh Bender. There observations are definitely in the majority.

Best, Jon

My experience mirrors Duane's in that I see this problem crop up for a lot of right-handed shooters. Since it can be frustrating to diagnose if/when it finally occurs, I tend to spread the word....

In my case I never activated the extended release with my thumbs unintentionally, rather it was the pad of the left hand at the base of the thumb....

I don't expect folks to rip out the extended release if they're happy with it, after all I once was.....

I don't disagree that some shooters in fact have a problem with the extended stop/release; it particularly seems to be exacerbated when using the "High Thumb(s)" grip. I don't, and thus a) don't have any operational issues with the component, and B) prefer to have the slide release options provided by the part.

I guess if the majority of shooters replying on this thread, or otherwise using/observed using the "High Thumbs (or other) grip have experienced problems, the point may be well taken. I would point out that there are other significant users, such as the FBI (who mandate the component on their issue G22 and G23 Glocks) and Massad Ayoob who are strong proponents of it. Duane also wrote about its use by Dave Sevigny in an excellent and detailed article he wrote for the Glock Annual several years ago; Dave Sevigny modifies the part on his G35 by milling away a crescent-shaped portion on the lower right portion of the extended stop/release's flat, simultaneously minimizing the obtrusiveness of the part in conjunction with his grip (which Duane has also extensively written about), but preserving the triangular extension shelf.

The fact that Glock continues to offer it as the OEM component on the Tactical/Practical G34/G35, and that instructors such as Todd Green at Pistol-Training.com are strong advocates of using the slide release as the most effectual technique from going from slidelock to battery offer to me what I would consider to be a clue. That doesn't mean that it's the right component choice for everyone, but I still question if there's an empirically specific (or empirically observed) majority that in fact reject it, as opposed to select users.

Again, I think that it's a shooter's individual grip (and technique preference) that can dictate the appropriateness of the specific slide stop/release (and the organizaton to which one belongs can be a deciding factor as well).

Best, Jon

Edited by JonInWA

When you choose to return the slide to battery after a slide locked open condition using the slide stop lever....which hand do you use to activate it?

Because I as well advocate the use of the slide stop lever. And i can utilize the flat non extended piece just as well as the extended.

I have personally experienced and witnessed many of unwanted malfunctions as a result of the extended piece. And I have yet to see a correlation of the types of shooters and the groups they are associated with. That has no bearing as I shoot in competitions sanctioned and governed by more than one body.

Your justification for continuance of using the extended piece is fine. If you like it and it works for you. AWESOME! Keep using it. Our intention for sharing the information we share is based on our experiences and the majority of those we witness. If I see a shooter having premature slide lock problems at a match and he has the extended slide stop lever, I usually recommend them changing it to the flat standard stop to solve the problem. If an individual is using the extended piece with no problem, I don't say a word. Those are the "Clues" I act from.

Mine is actually held down when I shoot it so it does not lock the slide back at all. I like the feel of the grip better with it there than with the flat one. I could care less if the slide locks back on empty

That's one of the problem that Duane states. If you don't mind it, then no problem.

"Most" because "most" the posters on this forum agrees with Duane.

Again, I think that it's a shooter's individual grip (and technique preference) that can dictate the appropriateness of the specific slide stop/release (and the organizaton to which one belongs can be a deciding factor as well).

No argument there, but it's still "most" of the USPSA shooters prefers the non-extended version.

It's not always just an issue of the slide locking back when it's not supposed to. I believe they can also simply drag on the slide, not locking it...just robbing it of energy. I know some "mystery jams" go away when the extended slide stop/release is taken out of the gun.

But if the FBI and Mas love them...then I am still going to keep suggesting that shooters get the damn things out of their Glocks.

(JohnInWA...I am just being dramatic. I agree with your last sentence in your recent post..) cheers.gif

LOL-Point well taken, Flexmonkey. And 00bullit, I certainly concede the validity of your point-that if you observe a shooter having premature slide lock problems, and they have the extended slide stop/release, it just makes sense to suggest to them that they replace the extended part with the OEM flat one (or change/modify their grip).

I'm really not trying to be dogmatic about the universal advisability of the extended slide stop/release. Again, I think that slide stop/release choice selection is a factor of grip, index, and desired means of executing one's slide release from slidelock to battery. My primary competition venues are IDPA, GSSF, and steel plate competitions. And while I haven't heard (or observed) participants discarding the extended part in droves, it really isn't something that I pay a lot of attention to on anyone's Glocks but my own, or to anyone who specifically asks me for my advice regarding theirs.

oobullit, you also raised another interesting point-that where you asked which hand I use to activate the slide stop/release. My answer is "either, or neither-it's situationally dependant." Frankly, particularly on my G17, merely slamming the reload magazine into the receiver more often than not will result in the slide going foward on its own-which I see as an unplanned bonus. Alternatively, I can use either my strong hand thumb, or my weak hand thumb, depending upon position, cover, and situational applicability. Or I can use the slingshot or overhand grasp technique. For me, the extended component is a operational technique multiplier, with no downside. For others, if it creates problems, it's a component best either avoided or replaced.

For me, the part is hardly a loser(realizing that I'm but a sample size of one, but skeptical of other universal/dogmatic suggestions on their face).

Best, Jon

Duane, I'm apparently one of the rare few that totally disagreees-I strongly prefer the Glock Extended Slide Stop/Release, and have literally never had an accidental engagement of it. While I initially shot thumb-over-thumb, which totally precludes the issues you had, I currently shoot my Glocks with a modified thumbs-foward position-with my strong hand thumb indexing in the thumb indentation on the receiver frame, and the weak hand thumb pointing foward.

Jon, if you ever decide to modify that grip for greater recoil control by getting up higher on the gun, you'll find out what all the rest of us already have. :lol: